Taxes on a Mobile Home

6 Replies

For tax purposes. I'm building a projection sheet for some brand new mobile homes that I'm bringing into my park. Since they will not be attached to the land, how will the county/city look at them each year for their tax value? Will they appreciate or depreciate ?  If so, how much each year? Is there a leveling off point where they can't go under or above? Any input or real world experience would be greatly appreciated.

shouldn't be more than a few hundred dollars a year...it all depends on the cities tax rate. and they will highly depreciate because they are a mobile home, youll be lucky to get the same amount for the house in 5 years.  and very unlikely to get close the same value in 10 years.  there kind of like cars...once they leave the dealers lot/factory they lose value quickly.  

Mobile homes that are not attached to land and taxed as real property are taxed as personal property and will be assessed at their fair market value as determined by the appraisal district

If you disagree with the valuation you can protest just like real property

512-293-3885

@Kyle Mason Both the Texas Occupations and the Texas Tax Code states that mobile homes are, as @Greg H. states; taxed as real property. They will be assessed each year based on the location of the home on January 1. If the home is delivered from another county in mid year, you may have to prepay the taxes to the previous county for the year to obtain a title from the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs (TDHCA) and be able to obtain the permits to move the home. If the home was in dealer inventory or newly manufactured you may not pay taxes until the following year. 

If you need more information on liens, titling, or taxation of homes you can refer to the TDHCA website. I have worked with mobile home taxation in Texas for the past five years. The entire process is usually clear as mud. Best of luck.

Mobile homes depreciate over time, usually pretty quickly at first then they will slow the level of depreciation after about 5 to 10 years. Depreciation will slow to a crawl, even if the home is deemed unlivable at about 20 years. I have seen homes built in the 1960's and 1970's still be taxed at about 10K value per year.

@Kyle Mason If the mobile homes are not attached to land, they'll be taxes as personal property (versus real property). Regarding the tax amount, it will vary depending on the county. In order to control the amount, you'll need to establish a good relationship with your local county tax assessor. I started protesting taxes every year with mine (per a park manager's suggestion) and successfully lowered them. Good luck!  

@Richard D. Thanks for the input. I see that you have a lot of background in the taxing divisions of government. I hope to keep in touch with you. 

@Rachel H. As always, your input is always helpful. Relationship is the key word. very bright idea. I have spoken with the Hunt County tax office several times and they have been nothing but helpful so I hope to build on that and keep it going. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.