Private Money Terms for Mobile Home Investing?

5 Replies

Hi guys, I wanted to see if I could get some input. I’ve got a few friends who may be willing to fund some mobile home deals I am looking at and I’m trying to see what some good repayment terms would be to use them as private money lenders? I am looking at mobile homes in parks I could buy for around $5k and sell for around $20k with owner financing for 5-10 years. Total cash flow per unit after lot rent would be $250-$450 per month plus maybe $1000-$3000 down payment that could be split. What could be some good repayment terms I could offer them that would be mutually beneficial? Thanks for the input!

@Taylor Tully It will depend on each private lender. Everyone has a benchmark on what they want to get. The best thing to do is ask. But have a figure in mind. Know the market. I knew one mobile home investor who used the same private lender for over 40 deals. He made a small amount on the spread which he reinvested back into the business. The lender was paid 10% on his money. The investor got to keep the move-in fee when residents move in. Since the investor made his payments on his time on every deal, the private money lender kept funding his deals. A win-win situation for both. Hope this helps! 

Most guys start with 7 to 10% and I would suggest keeping the arrangement with the investor as simple as possible.  I would not split the down payments you collect from the buyers but would offer a steady return and a lien position on the title for security!

Thanks for the reply’s!

Are you saying these get paid back by amortization, or by interest only payments for a term?

I know I can give a first lien to the lender, then I hold a second lien with the end buyer.

When is the lender typically paid out and done?

Taylor

@Taylor Tully - since it is private you can negotiate whatever terms are acceptable to your private lender.  

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here