Trees in Mobile Home Park - Looking for advice

6 Replies

Hi All

I'm looking at a very small park (5 units, no park-owned homes, 100% occupied). It needs work, but there are a couple large cottonwood trees that are pretty close to the homes. 

My inclination is to have them removed, as they do present a risk of falling onto somebody's home. 

Having said that, a couple questions:

• *If* a tree were to fall onto somebody's home, would my park owner insurance typically cover damages to a tenant-owned home?
  • Have any of you removed trees for that reason? Does it seem like a good idea, or am I being paranoid?

Thanks in advance!

call your insurance company. Have them come inspect the property. Any tree that is not dead and falls is an act of god and Therefor is normally covered. If it’s dead, then insurance does not apply normally 

Most of the mobile home parks I came across only use liability insurance. Any tree I have in my parks that has a chance to cause any danger I chop down and that was 6 in past year.. I would just chop it down at whatever cost..

I have most of my experience from the insurance industry abroad, so take my advice with a grain of salt. 

However in general whose liability it is depends on who removes trees. If you hire a company to do the job make sure they have their own liability insurance for the type of work they do. If you remove the trees yourself, your company will be liable for any damages caused. 

Finally, no insurance company will cover damages which are outright neglectful or intentional. Make sure you or the company who removes the trees do everything you can so not to damage the homes. Look into which security measures one should take when removing trees. Perhaps your state has some written laws governing tree removal. 

Healthy trees need not be removed. Any tree that appears to be dying or dead should be removed. 

You must require that all tenants have adequate insurance coverage to protect third own homes. Storm damage from trees is the responsibility of the home owners insurer. If they do not have insurance coverage you are going to end up with vacant lots. Make sure you insist on tenants having replacement value coverage not actual value.

Originally posted by @Thomas S. :

Healthy trees need not be removed. Any tree that appears to be dying or dead should be removed. 

You must require that all tenants have adequate insurance coverage to protect third own homes. Storm damage from trees is the responsibility of the home owners insurer. If they do not have insurance coverage you are going to end up with vacant lots. Make sure you insist on tenants having replacement value coverage not actual value.

Agreed. If a tree falls on its own and damages the home, the home owner insurance should cover the client. 

If however the tree falls when somone is removing the tree it is a liability issue, and should be covered by that somone’s liability insurance.