MHP - How much do new mobile homes increase the MHP LAND value?

MHP - How much do new mobile homes increase the MHP LAND value?

Bainbridge Island, WA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 5 votes

HI All - I'm looking to understand how new mobile homes affect the land value of an MHP. Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated. 

Question - If you are the landowner of a MHP, what is the incremental value to the LAND if a new mobile home is placed on the land?

Example - A MHP has a land value of $1,000,000. It has 100 homes on the lot. 99 of them are brand new mobile homes and there is one mobile home that is a complete tear down. In your opinion, what is the LAND VALUE of the MHP if that single tear down gets replaced with a brand new Mobile home?

In other words, Does 1 new home increase the value of a 100 lot park by 1%? 0.5%? 2%? 

Thank you!

-Andy

0Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
8y

@Andy Kelly,

@JC K. pretty much nailed it. As an investor I would look at it this way. When I evaluate a park, I value the land (MHP itself), park owned homes, and park owned notes (seller financed/rent to own) all separately. 

So, in your scenario. If you rented the lot for $200/mo and the overall expenses remained the same, then the LAND VALUE (or value of the MHP itself) would increase by $200*12= $4800/10% cap rate = $48000. All else being equal. Additionally, if the mobile home itself was worth $10k, I would consider paying for that minus my costs to sell it to an owner occupant.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Great Falls, MT · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 46 votes
    8y

    I would say the value increase is applicable to the park, not the land. In my mind, the value increase comes from assuming +1 to the lot rent income and NOI, and not from the value of the home. Thus, I would assume an increase of 1% since you are adding 1% to rent income and NOI.

  • Investor · Midlothian, VA · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 823 votes
    8y

    @Andy Kelly,

    @JC K. pretty much nailed it. As an investor I would look at it this way. When I evaluate a park, I value the land (MHP itself), park owned homes, and park owned notes (seller financed/rent to own) all separately. 

    So, in your scenario. If you rented the lot for $200/mo and the overall expenses remained the same, then the LAND VALUE (or value of the MHP itself) would increase by $200*12= $4800/10% cap rate = $48000. All else being equal. Additionally, if the mobile home itself was worth $10k, I would consider paying for that minus my costs to sell it to an owner occupant.

  • Bainbridge Island, WA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @JC K. @Edward B. - huge thanks to you guys for weighing in here. This community is so great because of folks like you. Thank you. 

  • Paul MoorePro Member
    Commercial Real Estate Fund Manager · Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Andy Kelly.  Just checking in a few years later.  Have you made progress in your search to get into the MHP biz?  It has heated up a lot in the last 2 years since this forum.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.