Mobile Home Park Investing

User Stats

Votes
N/A N/A
Votes |
Should I buy a Mobile Home Park???

N/A N/A
Posted Aug 3 2008, 11:04

I am a rehabber (was a remodeler for 30 years, and have now begun doing them for myself), and I was offered an opportunity to purchase a 14 unit Mobile home park in my local area.

It is not a high class park, has 10 older units set up and owned by seller, and 4 vacant spots ready to have units brought in. These are alll single-wide units. The seller picks these old MHs up for $1000-$3000 and rents for $250.00 each making a total income of $2500.00. I am not sure yet what the gas and sewer costs are, so I am not sure what he nets, though I would have to guess around $2200.00. per month.

The Seller is getting along in years and is tired of the landlord thing and so he offered to let me have it for $90,000. He wants $10,000 down (no problem, I have it) and will finance the balance himself at 8% for 10 years, with payments about $972.00 per month. This leaves a pos. cash flow of approx $1200.00 per month.

This would be a no-brainer, were it not for the fact that it is not my niche, and I do not know what hidden problems may or may not lurk beneath the MH and MH park business.

The park is situated alongside some railroad tracks, but he says he has no problem keeping the units rented. Other than the railroad tracks, and a few dumpy houses on either side of the park itself, the setting is nice, green, big trees and has a pleasant feel - not a lot of trash and junk.

What do you think?

Loading replies...