Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes

Primary Homes with Solar - Sales Questions

Posted

Hello all,

I've put solar panels with a backup battery on my primary home within the last year. To finance the system I went through a 3rd party which provided a 25 year loan with a 2.99% interest rate (not bad). Payments are comparable to my electric bill. 

However, payments only stay low if I use the full 2021 tax credit (about $14k) on paying down the loan, otherwise they jump 35% monthly. Total loan amount and rate do not change though.

My question to you all is, what do I do with the $14k credit? 

More background information:

I don't plan to stay in this house for more than 7 more years

I'm okay with taking a small loss on the solar panels because I believe in sustainable energy. 

If I were to sell the house, there is an option for the new owner to outright pay off the new system, or to inherit the current solar project loan. If that were the case, the amount of payment (base payment v. base+35%) they make would depend on what I do with the $14k credit. 

I also have a primary loan and a HELOC on my residence. I could consider refinancing the HELOC, primary and solar loan altogether, mostly because the HELOC isn't getting paid back fast enough (4.1% rate on that, but it's variable so could rise). I am cautious about doing this though because I refinanced my primary in 2021 and got a good 2.75% rate on it.

I don't want to decrease the marketability of my home either by refinancing the solar into the primary and making a new buyer pay for the solar outright, or by spiking the payment that they would inherit. However, I don't know what the market's appetite is like for primary homes with solar. Any guidance on that would be extremely helpful. 

Loading replies...