I want to buy my neighbors Condo!

8 Replies

My neighbor is $5,500 in back taxes on her Condo

She is $40,000 behind on condo fees.

She paid 200k for it in 2008, and now they are selling for 182k

The Association has filed a lien on the property 

What is the best and creative way to obtain the property? 

I'm wondering how do I convince her.

Every time I run the numbers I wonder what's in it for her.

$185k Value

$155,000 mortgage

$43,000 condo lein

$5,500 in taxes

-$68,000

I'm wondering what deal I can work out.

Promotion
Apartments.com
List, Screen, Lease, Get Paid, Manage.
No Better Place to Lease Your Place
Owners rely on the #1 rental site to get the best results from their rental properties.
Get Started Now
Originally posted by @Fillip Nelson :

I'm wondering how do I convince her.

Every time I run the numbers I wonder what's in it for her.

$185k Value

$155,000 mortgage

$43,000 condo lein

$5,500 in taxes

-$68,000

I'm wondering what deal I can work out.

The bank and condo association don't care what is in it for her.  She owes them money and isn't paying it, they just want their money back.

@Fillip Nelson

Buy it for what's she's asking if it makes sense. The title company will take care of paying off all the liens before she gets a dime. If you want it, get it under contract ASAP, and work it out later.

The question is does she want to sell? She can probably live there right now and the cost is less than rent. I believe if the bank forecloses then the HOA lien gets wiped out. Your best bet is to wait until bank forecloses and buy it from them.

Don, you are correct. Her mortgage right now (minus the condo fees cause she can't pay) is way cheaper than rent.

She will not have any place to go, but she may be able to salvage her credit if she sells to me.

Landlords will become even more strict when screening after the rent moratorium ends.

I just refinanced, my mortgage is really low.

I was also thinking buying her unit, living there, and she can rent my unit, as an option if she brings up being priced out of rent market.