Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Delin W.
Votes |
Buying without Title Insurance... kind of

Delin W.
Posted Nov 20 2013, 19:38

I am purchasing a condo in a complex where I already own one. The seller is losing money on the deal and is not willing to pay for anything, including the $2,000 "Owner's Policy" from the title company. This is generally paid for by the Seller, but it now falls to me.

I am planning on purchasing the "Lender's Policy", which is required here, and normally paid for by the buyer. It runs about $1,500 and my understanding is that it insures the lender's portion, ie 75% of the purchase price.

So I'm trying to figure out if the "Owner's Policy" is worth the $2,000 price tag. I thought the Owner's Policy only covered the buyer's portion of the home, ie 25%, so I am confused as to why it is more expensive.

I also don't understand why there are two separate policies, presumably when there is only one title search performed. What is driving the cost?

And why didn't my title company tell me that the Owner's Policy was optional? They had a hard time admitting this, and finally came up with a waiver that I will need to sign if I chose to decline the Owner's Policy. This title company is a reputable one, and they appear to be simply pushing the industry standard -- ie promoting fear -- when it comes to the Owner's Policy.

BTW, nothing came up on my other condo's title search, so there doesn't appear to be any historic issues with land ownership. The seller bought directly from the developer, so I think the only risk is a potential title issue related to him. If that is the case, wouldn't/shouldn't the title company find that while doing the search for the Lender's Policy?

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Thanks in advance!!

Loading replies...