Opinions and Info on Real Estate Consortium

Opinions and Info on Real Estate Consortium

Insurance Agent · AZ · Member since 2013 · 306 posts · 161 votes

Hello BP Nation =)

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong place.

I have several friends in the Real Estate industry (in various aspects), and one of them owns properties in Los Angeles proper. Many years ago, we discussed starting RE Consortium; whereby, investors would pool their money together (certain buy in requirements), and then purchase various investment properties.

My question is for anybody who a. has done this, or b. would be interested in this endeavor. What would make this attractive for an investor? I know that every region in the U.S. would be different in respect to the "buy in" aspect of this, i.e, one region, you could have 5 investors contribute 20k a piece, and they would be able to buy a couple of properties. And conversely, in a (using as an example) Los Angeles marketplace, the buy in for 5 investors may be 50k-100k, as it would be more difficult to buy (cash out properties) for anything less than that.

I'm just wrapping my head around various avenues for myself, as I build my 2014/2015 goals.

I thank those who contribute in advance, because were it not for your knowledge and information many of us would not even be able to reasonably consider RE as a viable option for us to make money!

0Reply
27 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2012 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    Different investors want different things (i.e. cash flow, capital gains, tax deductions, etc…) from their investments. To create a deal that would be attractive to investors, you first need to know what the investors want.

    Once you know what your investors want, you'll need to be prepared to answer the following investor questions:

    1. How much do I get back?

    2. When do I get it back?

    3. How do I know you'll give it back?

    4. What happens if you can't give it back?

    **All of these questions are much easier to answer if you find the deal first.

    When all of your investors are on board, seek the advice of a real estate attorney as to which structure/legal entity would best suit your situation, and then have them create it for you.

    If you get this far, all there is to do is 1) Find the Deal, 2) Buy the Deal and 3) Manage the Deal.

    Hope that helps a little.

  • Insurance Agent · AZ · Member since 2013 · 306 posts · 161 votes
    12y

    Thanks Matt, that was perfect, and exactly the type of information that I needed to see. I appreciate you taking the time to respond!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.