Timing of Sale (vs Rent)

Timing of Sale (vs Rent)

Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 3 votes

I have a primary residence (for 2 years) and then rented out (for 1.5 years) and lease renewal is coming up at the end of July.

Tenants want to extend another year for a higher rate but I want to sell it before the cap gain exclusion (121) expires.

I want to ensure the house is vacant so I have a month to prep before selling it in Spring of 2024. Which month is the best month to sell?

Then I can determine the lease end date. 

Do you think after the 2020-2021 increase, there will be another increase on the horizon in the Round Rock area in the foreseeable future? Would it be worth keeping it as a rental long-term?

It's a (>4k sqft) SFH at a top school district.

Regarding the cap gains exclusion (121) - is the 5 year period back-calculated based on the date of the final sale? And 2- years primary residence period based on your physical presence (and no documents?)

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alan AsriantsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    What are your motivations to sell? Seems like you got the house at a good price and great rate based on how long you have owned it. 
    Is the property cash flowing? If so, why sell it?

    I would try to figure out why you need the cash vs the cash flow, tax benefits, appreciation, etc

    If you still want to sell, this time of the year up through end of july is a decent time to list historically. 

    Alan Asriants - New Century Real Estate 591 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    3y

    Thank you Alan - good question. 

    Since the house is sitting on a lot of equity and rent is returning less than CDs (5%), and the prices seem flat, I thought it was a good time to cash out with the cap gains exclusion

    And use it for a better return with less work. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.