Hi team, I would like group feedback on on my current buying and selling situation.
Hi Bigger pockets team,
Here is my current situation. I am currently assuming a loan that has a 2.6% interest rate locked into the life of the loan and I am getting it $70k under market value. I am assuming $135k and agreed on a $175k Price. My spouse & I love the home and plan to use it as a our primary, clean it up and rent it out after 1-2 yrs of living in it. With loan origination fees I am paying the difference of $46K out of pocket which took me almost 2 yrs to save up for.
I am deploying my cash savings of the remainder to close on the home which has me exposed for current emergencies or worst case scenario I have to divest stock positions form my Roth or 401k I didn't plan to for the next 5-10 yrs, which I don't want to do. For context I work as an engineer and have a descent salary of $110k/yr and my spouse make a salary of $30k/yr with our goal to become more independent in the next 3-5 yrs
Now here is where I could really use help in executing a decision:
My current home I owe like $84k and owe like 13 yrs on the loan and have a 3% fixed interest rate for the life of the loa. our monthly payment is $1050 and we could rent our current home for $1600-$1700/mo. Gaining us a potential profit of $7000-$8000/yr minus operational costs etc etc. cutting it down to potentially 4-5k per yr. If we sell we will potentially make close to $120k cash free after realtor fees etc etc since we have been in the home for over 7 yrs. We are having trouble deciding on whether we should sell or rent it out. We have learned alot within these past few years and it would probably take me another 1.5-2 yrs to save up to $50k again with our initial expenses, or if we sell we will replenish our cash savings, plan to buy more property, not utilize all of the money from the home sale, maybe use 50% of the cash received from the sell of our current home to build a portfolio, and lock the rest up as a cash emergency on stand by maybe 20% and the other 30% long term hold for long term growth.
As for me I am a "bet it all on red" kinda guy but my wife is much more conservative and the smarter of us 2 although I am the engineer lol. We have a great balance in our loving relationship and she supports my process. What would you do?