Direct mail - How would you write it

12 Replies

First I'd like to say how much of a help everyone on here has been. Thanks everyone!

Anyway, I have learned through you guys that a good method to find a deal is by compiling a list of properties in my niche and area that I would be interested in and directly mailing them asking them to sell. All the properties I selected are NON owner occupied, 2-4 units, <90% mortgage paid off.

I got a list together, and I'm a little stuck as to how to write a message. Should I ease into it? Try to be convincing? Just flat out ask if they will sell?

Should the message be printed as a post card or as a letter in an envelope?

What has worked for some of you?

Just get to the point. I just say, hi I'm Brian, I buy houses, I'd like to buy your house. A little more detail but that's the basic idea. I'll post a copy of my letter for you when I get home.

@Drew Farnese

Keep in mind, you are not going to be able to create motivation in these sellers. Brian L is correct, you need to keep it simple. Just mention the important items: they can sell in as is condition, you make cash offers, you can close quickly.

Also, I sign off with my first and last name. I think that builds credibility. In any other context, you would include this if you're sending someone a letter without every having met them (as opposed to just your first name).

This might also be a given to you, but at the very least, hand write the envelopes. Every handwritten letter at least gets opened.

Hope this helps.

Promotion
REI Nation
Premier Property Management Group
Premier by REI Nation is the #1 PM Choice for Passive Investors
Looking for worry-free property management? Check out our Ultimate Guide to Property Management.
Download Now
Originally posted by @Kyle B. :
@Drew Farnese

Keep in mind, you are not going to be able to create motivation in these sellers. Brian L is correct, you need to keep it simple. Just mention the important items: they can sell in as is condition, you make cash offers, you can close quickly.

So that brings me the question - what if I'm NOT making a cash offer? Are investors ever able to buy via seller financing with this tactic of finding deals? I would imagine that lowers your chances. What about conventional financing? Or even FHA for that matter?

@Drew Farnese

It probably won't lower your call back rate, but will most likely lower your odds of closing a deal. If someone is motivated enough though, I'm sure you can make it work. I don't have any experience in this regard though.

@Drew Farnese Nice job getting started. I've bought a lot of houses using this exact method.

I agree with @Brian L. keep it simple and to the point, as in basically them you're interested in buying their house.

I also agree with @Kyle B. to handwrite envelope. I like invitation style instead of #10 business size. And use the crazy collector stamps that cost the same as the normal ones.

I have bought properties with seller financing even when saying I can buy for cash in the letter or on a sign. The main point is to generate a call. Once you're on the phone, you ask questions and try to solve their problem. If cash isn't the right solution, seller financing might be.

Best of luck!

@Chad Carson thanks for the input!

I actually started my campaign and did go with #10 business envelopes. I typically just keep reading and reading and reading and never get to DOING. This time I just went and DID. Got some leads from leadsource and I plan to send out 300 per month, sending to the same leads 4-5 times.

I have quickly leaned how much handwriting my letters SUCKS. I won't complain though. I'll just get it done.

I guess I have a lot of options if a seller is desperate to sell. Just gotta get the phone to start ringing first. Right? :)

I just write
Hi, my name is John Miller. My wife and I would like to buy your house at
123 S Main St.
We can pay cash and close quickly.
Call me at 123-456-7890, if you would like to sell.
Thank you
And sign my name
Hope it helps!

@Drew Farnese

You will learn a lot from all of that doing activity. 300/mo is good. Make sure you track your lead generation results religiously so that you can tweak and learn from different changes (like #10 vs invitation style).

What kind of list did you get?

I have found diminishing returns sending too often to certain cold lists, like absentee owners. Maybe 2-4 times per year instead of every week or month in a row. This spaces out the mailings a bit.

Preforeclosures or expired listings are a different story and need to be more often.

@Chad Carson yes, my current list is primarily absentee owners, 90-100% equity, in selected area codes.

I am certainly going to keep a close track of everything with this campaign.

That is good to know that it may not be advisable to send a second letter to the same owners too frequently. Thanks for the insight!

@Drew Farnese

Got your PM. Thanks. Glad to connect.

You asked me how to handle wholesale leads vs buy-hold leads when calls start coming in from your letters.

I really don't break leads down that way.

Some deals may be a perfect buy-hold or perfect fix-flip, but many could be either. The type of lead depends a lot upon your specific plan and business model at the moment.

So if you're into buy-hold right now, I say just focus mostly on that. You'll understand the numbers and the deal-types better since you've studied it.

Absentee owners with a lot of equity should bring you some motivated, retiree landlords. These could be great seller financing candidates to buy and hold.

But when sellers have a lot of equity, you can also give them multiple offers. So if seller financing doesn't work, they might accept a lower-priced cash offer.

When you do your deal analysis on your cash offer, you can build in a wholesale fee below your normal offer price. That will allow you to have the potential exit strategy of keeping for yourself or wholesaling.

Promotion
Marko Rubel
ATTENTION INVESTORS
Get Deals 100% Funded – No Credit, No Banks, No Job Verification
New Unlimited Funding® program for investors: low-interest, without banks or shark lenders.
Check availability