New to Real Estate · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 7 votes
Hello,
I have money for one deal but can’t decide what is better, a duplex/triplex out of state (Maine probably) or rent my current primary residence, upgrade, rinse and repeat.
I have money for one deal but can’t decide what is better, a duplex/triplex out of state (Maine probably) or rent my current primary residence, upgrade, rinse and repeat.
Any help is appreciated!
- Brad
Can you get both at the same time? Rent your primary, move to a MF and house hack, rinse, repeat?
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
2y
Generally plexes are better if you are focused on obtaining cashflow. The problem is that in many areas it is hard to find comps. Because of this, they tend not to appreciate as much and are a little harder to sell.
So, if you are looking for growth, I would focus on SF. If you are focused on cashflow, then plexes.
Generally plexes are better if you are focused on obtaining cashflow. The problem is that in many areas it is hard to find comps. Because of this, they tend not to appreciate as much and are a little harder to sell.
So, if you are looking for growth, I would focus on SF. If you are focused on cashflow, then plexes.
Realtor · NH · Member since 2022 · 113 posts · 59 votes
2y
Why would you choose Maine? Not that it’s a bad choice but what’s your reason for choosing there. If you’re not using a primary residence loan then I’d go for the triple because it would likely cash flow better than a duplex
Why would you choose Maine? Not that it’s a bad choice but what’s your reason for choosing there. If you’re not using a primary residence loan then I’d go for the triple because it would likely cash flow better than a duplex
I’ve been looking at affordable markets in places that I like to go and the prices seemed reasonable in ME. Of course I don’t really know if the prices or market are good because I’m brand new to this.
Real Estate Agent · Lisbon Falls, ME · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 22 votes
2y
Hi Brad!
If you can afford it, I would recommend a Triplex or even a 4 unit; because you are mitigating your risk and likely increasing your cash flow. By having more tenants there are more eyes to watch for issues that may pop up, more people paying rent, and if you have one of the units vacant for a bit, it will not hurt the bank as bad as it would if you only have two tenants in the building and one of them left. If you are planning on investing in Maine, make sure you work with one of us realtors that understands investing and knows the local market so we can advise you properly. It may look like a cheap 3-4 unit, but if it is in a place that is known for high turnover or other issues, then it may not be worth it. Having the right team locally should be very important to out of state investors.
Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
2y
Hey Bradley, what kind of market is this in? If it's C Class is it common for properties to get broken into and have furnaces and water heaters stolen?
That will play into the pros/cons of duplex vs SFH. I could talk about this for 10 minutes straight and it's a pretty personal decision with positives and negatives to each.
I have money for one deal but can’t decide what is better, a duplex/triplex out of state (Maine probably) or rent my current primary residence, upgrade, rinse and repeat.
Any help is appreciated!
- Brad
Can you get both at the same time? Rent your primary, move to a MF and house hack, rinse, repeat?