Votes
Steve Smithy
  • Boston, MA
Votes |
Debating on selling my 4plexes

Steve Smithy
  • Boston, MA
Posted Mar 19 2014, 09:18

I have 3 fantastic 4plexes, when I purchased them the ROI was well above the normal 1% rule, and they still make decent money today. I am thinking of selling them because I haven't focused on finding good property managers and staying on top of them. So the property managers don't seem to be putting good tenants in and then the turnover is higher, repairs are higher, their placement fees are higher, etc. I am sure if I spent more time focusing on them I could do better, but if I spent that same time on another venture I am sure it would pay more in the long run.

I was thinking I could just sell and stop worrying about them, and invest the money in something else. But I don't have a better idea to invest in, other than just "the stock market". I was really into it when I first bought them and thought I would keep buying more, but now I lost the interest.

I chose 4plexes because of volumes of scale (1 tenant turnover doesn't mean I am losing money that month), mortgage implications (easier to just get a personal mortgage, with 5unit and up you need commercial mortgage), and I thought it would be easier to manage.

2 of the 4plexes are in Indiana and 1 is in Pennsylvania. I am near Boston.

What would you do?

Loading replies...