What are you Insights for the Spring market?

What are you Insights for the Spring market?

Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes

Hello Community--As we roll towards the end of 2024, I would love your insight on the coming Spring market.  Are you gearing up to buy hold or flip or both?  I am hopeful we will see another interest rate drop and have a hot Spring market.  Let me know your thoughts...

1Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Sean WagnerBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 14 votes
1y

Regarding Chicago, the 2024 property tax re-assessment in Cook County should cause some inventory to hit the market, specifically on the mixed-use and multi-family side of things which will be hit especially hard. Some townships have sent out tax bills already and I am hearing of 25%-50% being the norm, especially on the mixed-use properties or properties with 3-18 or 2-12 classification.

The multi-family market has remained strong, and if rates decrease I think we see more buyers in the market irregardless of property tax increases. Too many people waiting for rates to drop and I think more buyers than sellers still. I think higher values are inevitable but election, fed policy, inflation, etc. will dictate and what pace.

Millennium Properties R/E
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Shannon Mogilinski

    Are you referring to the residential market? Rates dropped 50 basis points and the 10 yr shot up. I don't see rates dropping, especially if they can't control inflation, which was supposed to be under control, but appears not. And who knows what is in store with the jobs market.

    It also depends upon the election and what policies are implemented.

    I am hoping prices continue to drop in multifamily, and we see a pick up in activity. Investors thought they could extend their debt, but that doesn't appear to be the case with what has happened to rates.

    This cycle would have been a disaster if our banking system was in the same situation as 08. 

    Gino

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    This is a very broad question. 

    From a residential sales perspective, I think it will go up by virtue of life events (family formation, etc.) but it will be a wash.

    Those that locked in a high 5% to low 6% interest rate in 2022 will now be gearing up to move because they aren't locked into their rates like those in the sub 4%. The problem: Yes they will buy, but they will also sell, so it becomes a wash in terms of supply and demand. 

    I'm still gearing up to buy more hold properties. That's just me though. But I will say I am and going to be extra conservative going forward. The cost of maintenance is gone up so high there is no margin. Just to trim a massive tree on one of my rentals is $4,750. That's 5 months of profit gone just because the insurance company wants it done.

  • Shannon MogilinskiPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Gino Barbaro:

    @Shannon Mogilinski

    Are you referring to the residential market? Rates dropped 50 basis points and the 10 yr shot up. I don't see rates dropping, especially if they can't control inflation, which was supposed to be under control, but appears not. And who knows what is in store with the jobs market.

    It also depends upon the election and what policies are implemented.

    I am hoping prices continue to drop in multifamily, and we see a pick up in activity. Investors thought they could extend their debt, but that doesn't appear to be the case with what has happened to rates.

    This cycle would have been a disaster if our banking system was in the same situation as 08. 

    Gino


    Hey Gino--follow-up question --just starting to look at multifamily ...are the problems I see referred to (pretty much everywhere) that the property valuations have fallen for multi or that a large number of loans are maturing?  I get its always a few things but I am interested in your take 

  • Shannon MogilinskiPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Rick Albert:

    This is a very broad question. 

    From a residential sales perspective, I think it will go up by virtue of life events (family formation, etc.) but it will be a wash.

    Those that locked in a high 5% to low 6% interest rate in 2022 will now be gearing up to move because they aren't locked into their rates like those in the sub 4%. The problem: Yes they will buy, but they will also sell, so it becomes a wash in terms of supply and demand. 

    I'm still gearing up to buy more hold properties. That's just me though. But I will say I am and going to be extra conservative going forward. The cost of maintenance is gone up so high there is no margin. Just to trim a massive tree on one of my rentals is $4,750. That's 5 months of profit gone just because the insurance company wants it done.

    Thanks, Rick for your perspective.  Yes, it is board as I wanted to see what is on the community's mind in their arenas.  I'm in Chicago burbs so we are expensive for work, but nothing like that for a tree. I will be interested to see if we get more first-time homebuyers off the sidelines in 2025 plus people are itching to downsize.  Here we still have a big housing shortage but then again you are in CA!  
  • Gino BarbaroPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · St Augustine, FL · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    @Shannon Mogilinski

    Valuations peaked in 22, and I think have dropped about 20%, depending ons the market.  Bridge debt has killed a lot of operators, and trying  to extend while praying for rates to drop,, while the 10 yr went up.

    I personally think it's a great time to get in. Brokers are calling you back because of slow deal flow, and while everyone is fearful, as Buffet says, you need to be greedy.

    Ultimately, it's only time if you're ready.  Long term, the fundamentals are great, not enough supply,y and it will continue to be in demand

    Hope that helps

    Gino

  • Shannon MogilinskiPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Thanks Gino very helpful!!!!  I'm great a flipping but looking to grow and experienced voices are the best!

  • Sean WagnerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 14 votes
    1y

    Regarding Chicago, the 2024 property tax re-assessment in Cook County should cause some inventory to hit the market, specifically on the mixed-use and multi-family side of things which will be hit especially hard. Some townships have sent out tax bills already and I am hearing of 25%-50% being the norm, especially on the mixed-use properties or properties with 3-18 or 2-12 classification.

    The multi-family market has remained strong, and if rates decrease I think we see more buyers in the market irregardless of property tax increases. Too many people waiting for rates to drop and I think more buyers than sellers still. I think higher values are inevitable but election, fed policy, inflation, etc. will dictate and what pace.

    Millennium Properties R/E
  • Shannon MogilinskiPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Ouch hadn’t heard that yet on multi fam for Cook , but then again every time we buy there, we always immediately dispute the tax bill so I guess not shocking!  Loved the thoughts thanks for insight!

  • Lender · Chicago · Member since 2024 · 88 posts · 24 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Shannon Mogilinski:

    Hello Community--As we roll towards the end of 2024, I would love your insight on the coming Spring market.  Are you gearing up to buy hold or flip or both?  I am hopeful we will see another interest rate drop and have a hot Spring market.  Let me know your thoughts...


    I think it could be a good time to do a fix and flip (start the process in the next couple of months and sell in March/April). I think this because the fall is a buyers market since there are less buyers (you could get a good deal on the purchase) and the springtime in Chicagoland typically is a sellers market (you could sell for a premium) since so many buyers come in to buy. Interest rates will probably be the same or fluctuate a little bit in this time.

  • Shannon MogilinskiPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Chicago Suburbs · Member since 2021 · 46 posts · 37 votes
    1y

    Hi Riley--Thanks for the insights.  That is my world so where I am thinking to stick as well.  Did a bit of research this year on seasonality for our market which I believe will be helpful.  

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.