Need second opinion: buying 2-unit house to live & rent
Hi all,
I'm preparing to buy my first property in GTA, Canada. I'd like to run these numbers by you to see if I'm fairly on track, or if I'm getting into a big mess. What do you think?
An example of a semi-detached house I'm looking at is $424,000 so monthly mortgage payments will be about $2000.
I've estimated annual expenses at $20,865.
3,790 Taxes
720 Insurance
1500 Hydro
120 Advertising
1500 Gas
500 Water & waste
12,735 Maintenance (at 3%)
I'll be getting more accurate numbers once I make an offer and start due diligence. But am I roughly ok with these?
That brings my total monthly bills to $3,645. I estimate I can live in the basement and rent out the top portion (2-3 bedroom) for $1,300 so I'll have to cover $2,345 myself.
Looking at the amortization table, I'm putting about $1,000 per month towards principal, averaged over the first 5 years. Since GTA is expected to continue growing strong and house prices are expected to increase, I can somewhat safely assume that when I sell, I'll get the same price I paid.
Currently I rent at $1,300. Assuming I put $1,000 a month on top of that towards a savings account (ie. paying off the principal) I'll be paying $2,300 every month... the same as my real expenses for owning the house.
I hope I explained it properly. I'd appreciate any feedback.
Tabatha