Charlotte, NC - higher property tax for out of state landlords?

4 Replies

Does anyone know if Charlotte, North Carolina imposes higher property tax if you are owning the property as an out of state landlord?

I was told the typical or average property tax rate in the area is approx 1% - 1.5% of the assessed value of the ppty, does that sound reasonable?

thanks

MJ

I've never heard of a higher tax rate for an out of state landlord but again I live here in Charlotte so I have not looked into that directly. Yes, the property tax will be between 1-1.5%. The actual millage for Charlotte is $1.2844 per $100 of assessed value. Here are the millage rates for all of Mecklenburg county.

@Mary Joe Charlotte and Mecklenburg County do not have a higher tax rate for out of state owner. Today the combined rate is 1.28% not including misc fees.

I own a property in Charlotte and am not being charged any additional fees for being out of state. My property taxes are in line with what Chris and Jared mentioned above. Cheers!

THANKS All ! I see that we have some very hard working folks here, you guys all started your day around 4-5 am ?? that's impressive :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here