Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
James Kandasamy
  • Real Estate Investor / Syndicator
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Best Strategy for 1 year Wealth Building for Buy&Hold, Fix&Flip and Wholesaling

James Kandasamy
  • Real Estate Investor / Syndicator
  • Austin, TX
Posted

I was trying to do some analysis on different RE strategies between Buy&Hold, Fix&Flip and Wholesaling. The assumption i made was

- 10 house with equity capture of 25K for both Buy/Hold and Fix&Flip.

- For Wholesaling, i assume that the amount of deals are 3x (30 deals) with 10K per deal fee.

- The analysis period is 1 year which means at the end of 1 year the Buy/Hold houses are sold to realize the equity capture.

- There is 100K of initial capital for Buy&Hold or Fix&Flip for acquisition, rehab and closing cost.

- Average cash out of pocket is 10K per house. Each house is 100K.

- Appreciation is 7% per year. Equity pay down is 1% since tenant will paying down the Buy&Hold houses. I assume 6% realtor fee and 2% closing cost for both Buy&Hold and Fix&Flip.

- The investor is paying around 30% tax rate currently.

- The taxation for selling Buy&Hold houses after 1 year is 15% Long term capital gain tax. Tax for Fix&Flip and wholesaling is around 40%. I assume 40% because the investor is paying 30% now and few more hundred thousands of active income (Fix&Flip, Wholesaling) would put the investor at max 40% tax rate.

The results

Buy&Hold

10 Houses, 25K/house equity. Total Accumulated after 1 year = 250K. After 1 year with 7% appreciation and 1% loan pay down by Tenant minus Realtor and Closing cost of 8%. After 15% Tax the cash out is 212.5K

Fix&Flip

10 Houses, 25K/house equity. Total Accumulated after 1 year = 250K. Minus Realtor and Closing cost of 8%. After 40% Tax the cash out is 142K

Wholesaling

30 Houses, 10K/house deal. Total Accumulated after 1 year = 300K. After 40% Tax the cash out is 180K.

My conclusion is,

if an investor has the 100K to spend on Real estate investing and are really good being a landlord and have a full time job where he does not need to take out money from the RE ventures for living, the best wealth building would Buy&Hold. I have not even added the capital depreciation tax benefits that the Buy&Hold investor gets.

Fix&Flip is the lowest but would probably be good if an investor is trying to accumulate cash in the short term. The tax % takes away a lot of equity.

Wholesaling is second best but It still does not beat Buy&Hold even though the ratio of cash accumulation is 3 to 1 in my analysis. The tax % takes away a lot of equity.

Maybe Buy&Hold is best strategy for this investor who has full time job, don't mind being a landlord and has initial capital.

So why are investors doing Fix&Flip and Wholesaling ? Short term gain. Cash accumulation ? No Initial Capital.

Thoughts ?

James

Loading replies...