Any ideas what mold remediation on this 1,200 SF unfinished basement would cost? (Pics included)

5 Replies

So, this vacant 2 story 2,480 SF house built in 2008, located in a nice subdivision looks real nice but has a bunch of mold in the full unfinished basement.

I don't know what happened but the basement floor was real wet and mold had began growing on the floor joists and the sub-floor. When standing in the basement and you look up, there it was.

Any ideas what mold remediation would cost? The unfinished basement space is about 1,200 SF.

Man, compared to some that I have seen, that looks like a pretty mild case of mold. If it were me, I don't think that I would even hire a "remediation" company. Bleach and elbow grease will probably take care of that (along with getting the water out, keeping it out, and maybe a couple of dehumidifiers). Remember, ever house has mold.

@Bryan L. Right on. Thanks for the encouragement. Keeping that in mind, I might just increase my offer because the rest of the house is in really great shape.

@Anthony M. be careful using bleach on surfaces like wood and drywall, it does not have the same effect it has on contertops, tile, or glass. It is my understanding bleach will only kill mold on the outside of the wood and will not penatrate into the wood. Google where or where not to use bleach. There are alternative products to using bleach in situations it is not recommended to blesch

@Shawn M. Ok. Thanks. I will look into that. It looks superficial and it is only on the joists and subfloor in the basement as far as I can tell.

The main thing is to eliminate moisture. It does not matter what you get rid of if you allow conditions conducive to growing more mold later.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.