Superior, WI - 28-Unit Self-Storage Acquisition: Down Payment Strategies

Superior, WI - 28-Unit Self-Storage Acquisition: Down Payment Strategies

Matt WignallPro Member
Superior, WI · Member since 2021 · 12 posts · 5 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets community,

I am currently analyzing a prospective acquisition of a 28-unit self-storage facility situated on 3.1 acres. The asking price is $295,000, which is above a recent appraisal(previous buyer could not obtain Financing) of $270,000.

The property exhibits strong operational fundamentals:

  • Current Occupancy Rate: 100%
  • Gross Monthly Income: $2,720
  • Construction Year: 2023

The facility is located in a rural area, approximately 10 minutes from the nearest town. It features a gravel lot and currently lacks perimeter fencing or security cameras. Despite these aspects, it has consistently maintained full occupancy since its construction.

My primary lender is quoting a required down payment of $75,000-$85,000 for a 25-year amortization. The projected cash flow, given the minimal operating expenses, appears favorable. My objective is to explore alternative financing structures that would minimize the initial capital outlay.

I have already determined that seller financing is not an option for this transaction. While I have the liquidity to make an all-cash purchase via a Home Equity Line of Credit (HELOC), I would prefer not to fully leverage that resource. I am considering utilizing a HELOC for the down payment, which would also enable me to implement immediate rent increases to bring rates in line with market values. Current analysis suggests a potential monthly income increase to $3,120 if rents are adjusted to market rates.

I welcome any creative financing suggestions or strategic recommendations from those with experience in self-storage acquisitions or alternative investment structures. Your expertise is greatly appreciated.

0Reply
29 views

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    1y

    hopefully you can expand managing 28 different renters for such a small deal can be not so great.

  • Buy and Hold Investor · Alexandria, VA · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 48 votes
    1y

    I agree with Jay,  unless there's land to expand, it may not be worth it. Could you buy adjacent lots if there's not land to expand? It sounds like the demand is there. You could try getting an SBA loan, which only requires 10% down. Bank5Nine offers them. The rate may be high but you could pay it down somewhat quickly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.