Guidance on structuring a deal

2 Replies

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie to BP and need some guidance on a potential oppty in NJ.

ARV of property is approx $140k. Prop needs no more then $20k in repairs. Property is owned free and clear by the owner.
Problem is the owner thinks the property is worth $160 - 180k, but is willing to take $140k for it :-).
I let him know that would obviously not work for me, I could offer $60k......he is not willing to go for that but is open to creatively working something out. The owner is disabled, wants out asap, and needs approx $40k to move.

I was wondering if a deal could be structured in a manner in which I can give him approx $40k, and then I get the first $40k in profit and then he either keeps profit above and beyond or we split profit above and beyond. For example.

- Owner gets $40k up front to move.
- I invest another $20k to rehab.

- Property sells for $140k
- After commission, and other expenses there is $125k net.
- I recover my total investment of $60k plus my profit of $40k. Owner gets the remaining $25k.
OR
- I recover my total investment of $60k and we split the profit. Owner gets the remaining $32.5k and I get $32.5k

Is something like this possible? If so how?

Thank you!!!

I am a newbie too, so I don't have any real advice on how to split.

I would be concerned that you and the Owner are not on the same page.

Your first statement: He wants 140k + it needs 20K in reno. = 160k

Is he agreeing the property needs reno of 20K and is saying the least he would take now is 120k?

You are probably better at this than me but I like to keep my deals KISS.

I would just try to get a real purchase price out of him (say 85k or what ever your threshold is), give him 40K down and have him hold the note on the rest earning him a nice return. then flip it and move on.

This is what is running through my mind: why is he not willing to lower the price, but is willing to take on risk and split profits with you later? As the owner I would rather have 40k in my pocket and Monthly income from note payments and the knowledge if it all goes wrong I can take the house back. Also if you sell the house for less that 140k I still get my full 85k (or whatever)

Thanks for the response Dan!

To clarify, the owner thinks the property is worth $160 - 180k and since it needs $20k in repairs he was willing to sell it to me for a "discounted" price of $140k. I do not agree with his value and estimate the ARV to be more like $140k. So we are not on the same page when it comes to how much his house is worth.

You bring up a good alternative but in this case because the owner thinks his house will sell for higher he is more inclined to an agreement where he gets the upside after I collect X amount in profit.

I am not saying this makes total sense...but thats what the way he is looking at it....so was wondering if anyone ran into a similar situation and has ever structured a deal in this manner.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you