Guidance on structuring a deal

2 Replies

Hi Everyone,

Im a newbie to BP and need some guidance on a potential oppty in NJ.

ARV of property is approx $140k. Prop needs no more then $20k in repairs. Property is owned free and clear by the owner.
Problem is the owner thinks the property is worth $160 - 180k, but is willing to take $140k for it :-).
I let him know that would obviously not work for me, I could offer $60k......he is not willing to go for that but is open to creatively working something out. The owner is disabled, wants out asap, and needs approx $40k to move.

I was wondering if a deal could be structured in a manner in which I can give him approx $40k, and then I get the first $40k in profit and then he either keeps profit above and beyond or we split profit above and beyond. For example.

- Owner gets $40k up front to move.
- I invest another $20k to rehab.

- Property sells for $140k
- After commission, and other expenses there is $125k net.
- I recover my total investment of $60k plus my profit of $40k. Owner gets the remaining $25k.
OR
- I recover my total investment of $60k and we split the profit. Owner gets the remaining $32.5k and I get $32.5k

Is something like this possible? If so how?

Thank you!!!

I am a newbie too, so I don't have any real advice on how to split.

I would be concerned that you and the Owner are not on the same page.

Your first statement: He wants 140k + it needs 20K in reno. = 160k

Is he agreeing the property needs reno of 20K and is saying the least he would take now is 120k?

You are probably better at this than me but I like to keep my deals KISS.

I would just try to get a real purchase price out of him (say 85k or what ever your threshold is), give him 40K down and have him hold the note on the rest earning him a nice return. then flip it and move on.

This is what is running through my mind: why is he not willing to lower the price, but is willing to take on risk and split profits with you later? As the owner I would rather have 40k in my pocket and Monthly income from note payments and the knowledge if it all goes wrong I can take the house back. Also if you sell the house for less that 140k I still get my full 85k (or whatever)

Thanks for the response Dan!

To clarify, the owner thinks the property is worth $160 - 180k and since it needs $20k in repairs he was willing to sell it to me for a "discounted" price of $140k. I do not agree with his value and estimate the ARV to be more like $140k. So we are not on the same page when it comes to how much his house is worth.

You bring up a good alternative but in this case because the owner thinks his house will sell for higher he is more inclined to an agreement where he gets the upside after I collect X amount in profit.

I am not saying this makes total sense...but thats what the way he is looking at it....so was wondering if anyone ran into a similar situation and has ever structured a deal in this manner.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here