Anyone have any experience with houses built on sinkholes!?!?!

3 Replies

I just looked at a Fannie Mae foreclosure and one of the first things I noticed was the caution tape all over the back concrete patio. The entire 10'x10' patio was upended and sloping towards the foundation. It's a split-level condo and the bottom-most level (basement crawlspace) floor was destroyed -- as in CAVING IN! It looked like an IED crater.

Needless to say, this scared me off and I went on my merry way, but now I'm curious. What remedy is there for a condo unit built directly on top of a sinkhole? Is the HOA, insurance company, homeowner, etc. responsible for any repair?

This was a middle unit, with a few units on either side all with shared walls. The other units are, astoundingly, occupied (maybe they don't know?).

Is there any money to be made on something like this?

One thing about condos , row homes any close quarter homes , the neighbors know everything . There is money to be made on almost any property if bought right . Does this sound like a money maker ? On the face .....no but with some research you may find that the assoc is responsible for repairs which could make it a deal for the right price.

Thanks, Matthew. I figured there may be some responsibility on the HOA's end. I just contacted them and am waiting for a call or email back. I'll update this thread as I gather info, for anyone that's interested.

I would be interested in updates to this post. I just looked at a lovely property in Hernando County FL, The Real Estate Agent disclosed that it has an unrepaired sinkhole.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.