House Hacking in the Twin Cities: Numbers, Challenges, and Opportunities

House Hacking in the Twin Cities: Numbers, Challenges, and Opportunities

Real Estate Agent · MN · Member since 2021 · 34 posts · 27 votes

House hacking has long been one of the most popular ways for new investors to get started in the Twin Cities. With a strong supply of duplexes, triplexes, and fourplexes in Minneapolis and St. Paul, the strategy is a great way to reduce living expenses while building equity and gaining landlord experience.

But the numbers look a bit different in 2025 than they did even a few years ago:

  • Purchase prices: Small multifamily properties in Minneapolis/St. Paul typically range from $300K–$550K, depending on location and condition.

  • Rents: Median rents for 2–3 bedroom units are running $1,500–$2,000/month in many neighborhoods.

  • Financing environment: Interest rates in the 6–7% range mean the mortgage payment is higher, making underwriting tighter but there's less competition so getting a better deal upfront is more feasible.

Even with these challenges, house hacking can still work here when the numbers are run carefully. For example:

  • A $400K duplex with each side renting for $1,600 could cover 50–60% of the monthly mortgage and expenses, allowing the owner-occupant to live significantly below market rent.

  • In higher-rent areas, some house hackers still manage to live for free or nearly free especially when we look at triplexes and fourplexes.

The bottom line: it’s not as “easy” as it once was, but house hacking remains a viable strategy — especially for investors who view it as a long-term play combining reduced living costs, equity growth, and rental experience.

👉 I’d love to hear from the community:

  • Do you think house hacking in the Twin Cities still makes sense in 2025?

  • What metrics do you look for before saying yes to a deal?

  • And for those who’ve done it recently — what’s been your biggest lesson learned?

3Reply
162 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2022 · 64 posts · 35 votes
1y

I say get in now. If 6% interest rates scare you then you will miss out when they go to 8-10% interest and you don't have the property. Better to have the real estate then the paper. If we were to think monopoly you would be arguing that you shouldn't be buying the orange properties on your second trip around the board. Protect yourself from the other costs of the house and make the renter pay for them. Those seem like nicer areas/middle ground areas. I think that you will always have renters. 

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Cleveland · Member since 2022 · 64 posts · 35 votes
    1y

    I say get in now. If 6% interest rates scare you then you will miss out when they go to 8-10% interest and you don't have the property. Better to have the real estate then the paper. If we were to think monopoly you would be arguing that you shouldn't be buying the orange properties on your second trip around the board. Protect yourself from the other costs of the house and make the renter pay for them. Those seem like nicer areas/middle ground areas. I think that you will always have renters. 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    Hi Mason, thanks for this post! My fiance and I are researching a house hack in one of the core Cities. After just dipping our toe into analysis (which we're learning!), it appears that cash flow is major problem, whether we go conventional or FHA. The home prices are high as expected, but the listed rents are very low -- $1100-1200 -- even in desirable areas like Uptown and South Mpls. I keep wondering who the sellers are expecting will purchase an investment that loses money so much money....? I'm assuming they're cash flowing at the terms of their original deal, but haven't bothered to increase rents so it's a worthwhile deal in the current market.

    Maybe we're running the numbers wrong...does this resonate with what you're seeing? It appears to be consistent with the (albeit generic) analysis provided on the BP property search for the Cities. 

    I'd welcome your thoughts, and am open to a conversation offline too--we haven't chosen a realtor yet. If house-hacking-as-the-first-step-to-portfolio-building is your jam, I'd love to connect,

    Thank you,
    Matt

    • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
      Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      1y

      @Matt Rezac I would say that's the opportunity on a lot of buildings that don't have at market rents. I would encourage you to think about not just year 1 returns, but longer term. If you can get the units up to fair market rent over the course of 2-3 years while house hacking, the numbers can still make sense 

  • Member since 2025 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    @Aaron Zimmerman Thanks for your reply! I have this week's Bigger Pockets episode ringing in my ears, where  Dave says "in this market environment, you gotta have positive cash flow...I'd rather all of you protect yourself against downside risk than buy a deal based on speculation...it's got to have at least break-even cash flow."

    Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Agent · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2021 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    7mo

    This came up in my feed for some reason. I think deals will continue to hit the market this year. Currently I have a few landlords that are interested in divesting from Minneapolis and moving their money elsewhere. Although it's more difficult to make the numbers work for a LTR hold, certainly there is room for house hacks - especially at the 3-4 unit MF.

    I do think median rents are a little lower than $1,500 ($1,300-$1,400) at the two-bedroom limit, unless you are listing specifically for the housing subsidy market.

    I have a client with turn-key properties that is listing this spring, including a nicely maintained 4-plex and duplex.

    I'm happy to chat. I'm a Realtor, but have never sold used cars, so very low pressure.

    Jeremy P.
    Verde Property Management

  • Adam TafelBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · St. Paul, MN · Member since 2017 · 580 posts · 396 votes
    4mo

    Househacking has always “worked” for those who are willing to write offers which make sense to them. Pick your poison, when interest rates were at 3% we saw multiple offers on everything, most of those who won in multiples from 2021-2022 are currently underwater unless they performed significant value add. I would 1000% rather get a good deal on price with a high rate than the inverse.

    I don’t agree that a 400k duplex renting at 1600/mo per side makes much sense, I talk with would-be househackers every day and can’t think of any of them being ok with those numbers. I encourage buyers to focus on the exit - what will the finances look like post move-out? 3200 gross isn’t going to cut it with a 400k purchase price and small down payment.

    The best house hack deals are purchased under the adjusted comp values, have 5 or more beds (or the potential for more beds), are in a location which the buyer feels comfortable with, and have some sort of value-add opportunity with comps supporting a margin above total cost. Add market rents (not necessarily current rents) meeting the 1% rule at purchase price and you have a fantastic house hack at 6.5% interest with 3.5%-5% down.

    Upside Property Sales 4.9108 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.