LTR doesn’t immediately cash flow. What to do?

LTR doesn’t immediately cash flow. What to do?

Member since 2025 · 32 posts · 12 votes

Ok, beginning investor here. 

I have a good stable job, so cash flow is not needed to live on. But the B class duplex properties in my area (Springfield MO) are priced so they don't cash flow before they're paid off. 

in other words I have to cover $300-600/month for about 5 years (on a $250K+ properties).

The reason I can pay off in 5 years is I have ability to pay large amounts against principal every month (from my regular job income), but I only have 82K for a down payment.

Once it's paid off, the property would produce almost 1000$ net cash flow.

Are these good numbers or do I need to do things differently?

What is a good strategy in current economic market for B class properties that don't cash flow immediately?

0Reply
52 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gwinn, MI · Member since 2016 · 174 posts · 103 votes
    11mo

    That doesn't sound like good investment numbers to me. If you had to cover $600/month for 5 years, you're putting yourself in the hole by $36k in that time frame. It will then take you at least 36 months afterwards just to break even. That's 8 years with a 0% return. Do your calculations include CapEx expenses (roof, appliances, flooring, etc.)? I'd keep looking for a better deal.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.