Help with numbers

2 Replies

I am in the process of trying to find my first property to buy for a fix and flip. But, I am having some issues with trying to figure out the numbers. I will be using a HML for this deal and was wondering if someone could look at the numbers.

Property:  This is a typical property that I get sent.

ARV: 154,000

Purchase price: 98,000

Repairs: 26,000

Taxes: 3,400/year

Closing cost:

I would be paying the closing costs for myself and the seller since this would be coming from a wholesaler: $5,000

HML:

9.99% w/ 4 points

Realtor fees when I sell: 5%

I would appreciate it if someone could run some numbers given the figures above and let me know what you come up with.  Assume a 3 month turn around from buy to sell. Also, assume all of your standard costs associated with buying, rehabbing and selling a property.  

Thanks.

break even, maybe.  Don't count on 90 days from closing to closing.

Here are the numbers you need to determine what your profit would be on this deal:

- Purchase Price

- ARV

- Rehab Costs

- Fixed Costs

You have the first three of those -- Purchase ($98K), ARV ($154K), Rehab ($26K). Now you just need to determine your fixed costs.

Here is more information about what this will include:

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2010/03/17...

Let's say you determine your fixed costs to be $20K, then your profit would be:

Profit = ARV - Purchase - Rehab - Fixed

Profit = $154K - $98K - $26K - $20K

Profit = $10K

If you've like to define your own profit target, rearrange the formula and then you can let your other numbers determine your maximum purchase price.  For example, if you wanted to make $25K profit on the deal, you can rearrange the formula:

Purchase = ARV - Rehab - Fixed - Profit

Purchase = $154K - $26K - $20K - $25K

Purchase = $83K

You could pay at most $83K to make your $25K profit (assuming your other numbers are accurate).

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here