Is your deal on city water or on well water? It makes a big difference....

4 Replies

I have always been hooked up to city water and city sewer. You hardly ever think about your water supply. If you depend on a well or a septic system, things are way different.

Hopefully the 10 minute video I found below will help somebody learn the basics about wells.

If you are working on a deal, any deal, one of your major considerations should be whether the property has city water and city sewer or a well and septic system.

Anthony M., Batch 21, LLC | [email protected] | 574‑208‑6865 | http://www.batch21.com

If the property is on city services vs. well/septic is certainly a consideration. We completed a septic system inspection on a property today. We'll end up with several hundred in maintenance expenses on this property, but the system is in good shape. It's 30+ years old. The sewer bill in this rural area is $0.00. To contrast, in the city of Raleigh, on a bill with no water used, the minimum bill is $38.84 because of 6 different fees. If you rent property, have a septic tank addendum for your lease. And add $38.84 to the rent.

I didn't watch the video yet but I will when time permits. I just wanted to add that I currently live in a rural area with well and septic tank. Not having a monthly water bill or sewer bill is pretty awesome. That is all.

I own 6 houses each with well water and septic tank -- haven't had any major issues or drawbacks.
Cleaning the septic tank out is like $150 every few years.
As long as the well and filtering equipment is in good condition and properly maintained, you shouldn't have much of an expense.

@Chris Martin @Michael Jobe @Chris G.

Thanks guys for chiming in. I had to learn about wells and septic systems and figured that most wholesalers operating in metro areas probably do not know much on the subject unless they have dealt with a property outside the city limits.

You definitely want to factor the potential cost of repairing or replacing a well or septic system into your offer especially if you do not get them inspected.

Anthony M., Batch 21, LLC | [email protected] | 574‑208‑6865 | http://www.batch21.com

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you