Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Alex D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
selling a rental (SFR) -- should I incentivize current tenants to let potential buyers in to view

Alex D.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Posted Jul 5 2014, 06:42

I am trying to sell one of my rental properties. My options are to sell to the current tenants or list it through an agent. I told the current tenants about my intention to sell the house about a month ago. They said they were interested in buying from me, but have not come through yet with an offer. They basically have two options as I see it -- buy it from me, or move out at end of lease (Sep 30).

So here is my question...

Legally, I know I have the right to show the property to buyers (with 24 hrs notice), but do I need to incentivize tenants to allow the potential buyers in to view the place? 

I believe that a potential buyer would be turned off by a messy house, a conflict with tenants upon entry, a wild barking dog, etc... I want to avoid conflict and have the showings go well.

If I were the tenant, I'd see potential buyers are competition, and the closer we get to the end of lease, the more motivated the landlord would become to sell. Seems to me like tenants have the stronger negotiating position here, and as the landlord, I would need to incentivize the tenants somehow. Any ideas on how to encourage my tenants to let buyers (i.e. competition) in to see the place? 

Loading replies...