Staging, Is it Really That Important

4 Replies

I have come to learn after several houses that staging a house to sell or rent is very important. Do you agree? I mean the house can look perfect but with out furniture or pictures the house looks incomplete and the seller or renter can envision living there. 

Being new to staging i was hoping i could get some advice on here to assist me on this:

1. How much staging should I do?

2. How much should i budget for staging?

3. Anyone know of any stagers in San Antonio?

Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.

When I did my internship with a billionaire out of Beverley Hills he taught me that 

Finding the deal with 33%
The Rehab / Rehab Costs were 33% 
Staging was 33%

As I have flipped homes I came to my own conclusion. While I was flipping lower end homes between the 100-150k homes in Las Vegas I did not stage any of the homes. And I was correct, at this price point you do not need to because your return will not great on investment of staging, whether that is hiring a professional or doing it yourself. 

Yet, when you get to luxury high end market you most definitely want to stage your homes. The return on your money will be great, also if your home has an oddly shaped room or living room you would want to show the potential buyer how to use the space. I have had some really professional staging jobs cover up some really odd shaped living areas for me in the past. 

I was a realtor before I got into investments, and from my own experience anytime a home was staged there was a bigger emotional attachment to that home from my buyer. 

Also a quick tip, regardless of price point, ALWAYS make the home smell amazing. Put out candles, febreeze products, or whatever it is. When a home smells good it creates a stronger emotional attachment because we attach certain emotions to certain smells. 

All in all if your home is considered in the luxury market I would stage. 
If not I would just make the place smell amazing. 

PS - 

I think staging is more like 25% of the whole transaction. :) 

@Amir Pasha Esfandiary   i like the smell idea.  most of our homes smell "new" but smelling like home is probably more important.

We stage all of our flips from 150k-1MM.  They sell for 3-5% over the neighborhood comps and sell on average 50%-75% faster than the area comps.  I attribute this to using the correct finsihes/design/staging.  The more up market we go, the more important it is to not just slap any old granite and colors together.  People moving into a 700k home have a much more picky and refined taste, than those into a 150k home.

@Sam Craven  I just bought a home in Houston to flip, because the market in Vegas was shrinking in margins. I bought in the spring branch area and plan to stage this home when the rehab is completed. Do you outsource your staging or do it all in house? 

If you outsource could you please recommend a company for me to use? 

@Amir Pasha Esfandiary   I have 2 flips in Spring Branch right now and I switch between a few different staging companies depending on the price point and style of the home.  Happy to send a referral, just shoot me a message.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.