What can make a turnkey offering more attractive?

11 Replies

Hello all,

We are a buy and hold investor that operates in and around Chicago. We don't typically sell our properties but we are in a scenario where we have a partner that has a life situation requiring the partner to need to get out of the partnership which we are deciding to sell. The property is leased out to a section 8 tenant with a really good rent but in a C neighborhood. We have owned and managed this property since 2009, taken care of it, and had little issues managing.

I am looking for advice from the BP nation on what I can do to structure the deal to be attractive to an investor new or seasoned. We are able to sell this property in the range of a 12-14% Cap but what can I market to make this an easy deal? Some ideas we had were:

Offer management free of charge for one year?

Some sort of guarantee on rental income?

Pay for closing costs?

I am not attempting to create any gimmicks or tricks but want to do it quickly with limited disturbance to the tenant or my schedule with having to do numerous showings.

The goal is here is do to it right the first time. The 5 minutes to ask for advice is in hopes of closing a deal weeks faster!

Any feed back is appreciated and thank you for your time in advance! 

How about a real rent guarantee?  How about a policy where you guarantee to buy back any "lemons" or "turkeys"?  How about a guaranteed cap on amount of repairs that buyer will have to pay for over the first 5 years or so?

Hi @Mark Ainley  how about just posting the numbers, and some photos and see where it goes and the interest.  Although a "C neighborhood" some investors like this type of property.  You could offer the management for 1 year to keep the transition smooth, which is a big plus especially being turn-key.  

Another idea is to just sell the partner's percentage of the deal.  This way the partner can get out clean and you keep everything the same; management etc.  And no need to get tenant involved and they are not worried that management is changing etc.

Sometimes you don't need to make it any harder on yourself; use the KISS method! (no offence intended)

@Mark Ainley  Are you going to continue managing the property?

I think @Steve Babiak  gave you a few good ideas if you are looking to sell this property quickly as a one-off.  Any buyer will definitely be more comfortable if you provide them with assurances on the property.  The more risk you remove, the more incentive there is for them to buy.  If you keep the management then it makes most of those offerings a lot easier.

@Mark Ainley  , 12-14% cap in this market is a very attractive return even for c rent subsidized property.  Why would you have any problem selling it?

@David P. undefined We were going to buy out his part of the investment or work a new partner in the deal but his value on the deal isn't realistic so we agreed to let the market decide.  

I don't think we will have an issue getting is sold just looking for any feedback on the approach to make it more efficient and hear more on what a buyer might look for.  

We are able to provide historical records so that is one benefit we have on this deal!

@chris 

@Chris Clothier  undefined We are open to staying on as manager or walking away.  A hands on guy might want to do it himself so we are flexible.  

Thanks all!

Sounds like you have done a good job of making it marketable to me. If you cant agree on a price to purchase it from him to keep it for yourself then I see your difficulties. If it has been a partnership deal at least you didnt have to put all of your money up along the way so the buy out price could still be a little higher and the deal make sense. You know the property, rental history, cap, and the next deal you may not so sounds a little safer to pay more for the buy out but depends on the #'s I guess. It may not be a price you would buy at normally but your probably use to getting really good deals but if its still a good investment for someone else why not pick it up.

On the other hand it sounds like your offering it in an attractive way using some of the ideas you have offered. Another idea I have used is to offer to sell the property with a home warranty, insurance on the appliances and mechanics, paid for 1 year. It wouldn't be that costly and your buyer would feel a lot more comfortable knowing the mechanics etc are insured. Home Warranty of America is one place that offers these type of warranties. It covers anything from appliances, furnaces, garage doors, plumbing, electrical, door bells, and much more depending on the plan you choose. You just enter the buyers information in on the website (purchase it for them) when you sell the property to them and the plan will be for them as the new owners.

I hope you find this useful in your business :)

I agree with @SteveBabiak. Investors buy TK so they can hold it and not have to put money in for a period of time. State all expenses up front (taxes, insurance estimate, HOA if applicable) and then cover everything else:

1. Guarantee the investor will receive rents every month

2. Provide property management / turnover coverage

3. Pick up expenses such as appliance replacement, etc.

4. Assist with warranty claims when applicable

5. State your absolute limit of liability in terms of cash and time

The home warranty and property management both seem like good ideas. I wouldn't be comfortable with offering 1 year guaranteed rent. Things happen, tenant lost job, major expense pops up, job transfer, that is beyond your control.

This post has been removed.

Originally posted by @Jeremy Vogan :

I agree with @SteveBabiak. Investors buy TK so they can hold it and not have to put money in for a period of time. State all expenses up front (taxes, insurance estimate, HOA if applicable) and then cover everything else:

1. Guarantee the investor will receive rents every month

2. Provide property management / turnover coverage

3. Pick up expenses such as appliance replacement, etc.

4. Assist with warranty claims when applicable

5. State your absolute limit of liability in terms of cash and time

Turn key company could not stay in business with this list of items.. there is an assumed risk in any real estate endevour turn key or not.. If one did not want the risk's associated above then Rentals are not the way to go for this laundry list.. Try Performing Notes as an option.. fix and flips etc.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here