Need advice for buying a second investment property

3 Replies

Hello BP Community,

I need some advice for my second investment property.  I have been owning a property now for five years, and it is my primary residence.  I am interested in another property that is for $450k in a great neighborhood, and it is below market value.  I really want to buy this property and wanted to see if i can get your advice on how to go about it.  I have a decent idea about approaching this, but I would love to hear some creative financing ideas from  you all on how to buy this property.  Here is the scenario:

- I have one more person who is interested in putting some money down towards this house.  However, we don't want to put 20% down unless it is absolutely necessary. 

- A couple of months ago, I applied for Home Equity Line of Credit, so i am thinking about using money from my HELOC towards the downpayment for the second property.

- My plan is to buy this property and rent it out immediately.

My question is:

- Still owning my first property, will I still be qualified for another loan?

- I am assuming investment loans will have higher interest rate, is this true? and any idea as to what percent interest am i looking at?

- How much money will I have to put down?

I would greatly appreciate any advice or comments you guys can provide.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Muju

Even "below market" $450k is a significant amount for a single family (this is single family, right?), especially if you expect to put less than 20% down. Between mortgage, taxes, insurance, vacancy, and maintenance, it would seem difficult to achieve positive cash flow. If you expect excellent appreciation, perhaps it might be a reasonable decision. I strongly advise that you build out a complete and sound financial model before doing any deal.

To answer your specific questions:

It is impossible to say based on only the provided information whether you would qualify. You certainly might qualify – nothing you have stated would specifically exclude you. You are "allowed" at least 4 (maybe more) mortgages in your own name, though you would have to qualify for each; they aren't just an entitlement.

Investment loans almost always have a higher interest rate. The rate depends on the risk profile and the specific market. I was being quoted a rate of 4.5% on a duplex recently in northern Utah.

Conventional loans for investment properties usually require no less than 20% down - sometimes even up to 30% might be required depending on the property. The 4.5% rate that I cited above was based on a 30% down payment. We couldn't secure reasonable financing for less than that down payment amount.

I hope this helps!

Lance

Even "below market" $450k is a significant amount for a single family (this is single family, right?), especially if you expect to put less than 20% down. Between mortgage, taxes, insurance, vacancy, and maintenance, it would seem difficult to achieve positive cash flow. If you expect excellent appreciation, perhaps it might be a reasonable decision. I strongly advise that you build out a complete and sound financial model before doing any deal.

To answer your specific questions:

It is impossible to say based on only the provided information whether you would qualify. You certainly might qualify – nothing you have stated would specifically exclude you. You are "allowed" at least 4 (maybe more) mortgages in your own name, though you would have to qualify for each; they aren't just an entitlement.

Investment loans almost always have a higher interest rate. The rate depends on the risk profile and the specific market. I was being quoted a rate of 4.5% on a duplex recently in northern Utah.

Conventional loans for investment properties usually require no less than 20% down - sometimes even up to 30% might be required depending on the property. The 4.5% rate that I cited above was based on a 30% down payment. We couldn't secure reasonable financing for less than that down payment amount.

I hope this helps!

Lance

Thanks @Lance Johnson! The property I am looking at is in the Washington DC area, and it is a 2 BR/1BA condo. I know this building very well and the market very well. I pulled out the comps for this area, and it is in the $520k range. The rental market is really awesome for this area, and I pulled out the rentals for 2 BR/1 BA condos, and they are in the $3100-$3500 range. Depending on how much money I put down (provided the lender agrees for less than 20%), I calculated my monthly mortgage, condo fee, taxes, PMI and insurance to be somewhere in the $3100 range, which I could be breaking even. However, if i put 20% down, then I will be making some money.

I agree that the $450k is a lot of money for a condo, but knowing this area, it sounds like a great deal for a 2 BR/1 BA condo where usually most of the 2 BRs are going for more than $500k.

As for me getting a mortgage, I have a great credit score, and I am thinking about going in with another person who doesn't have any mortgage under their name, and their credit score is excellent too.  

What if we buy this property as a primary residence under my partner's name and then rent it out?  Is there a clause in the contract the prevents you from renting your primary residence for certain number of years?  

We are planning on renting this property out for a couple of years, and then probably sell it if the value appreciates.  There is a lot of construction going around this building, and it is centrally located which a few metro stops around.  The building has a lot of amenities including rooftop swimming pool, gym, club room and a parking garage.

Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.