Property Tax Rates...Best Cities/States??

5 Replies

Hello, I'm not sure if this question was asked before but what are the best cities and/or states that have the best property tax rates? What I mean is, I know in certain locations when you change from owner-occupied to rental your property taxes go up tremendously so what cities and/or states are the best to buy property in to offset this property tax situation? Thanks!

I am not familiar w/ areas where not  being owner occupied effects your taxes, but it is all public information.  A general rule of thumb has desirable area higher taxed (northeast and west coast).  I would think there are a lot of other things to consider that would create a much larger impact than taxes though.

Originally posted by @Pete T.:

I am not familiar w/ areas where not  being owner occupied effects your taxes, but it is all public information.  A general rule of thumb has desirable area higher taxed (northeast and west coast).  I would think there are a lot of other things to consider that would create a much larger impact than taxes though.

That isn't really true for property taxes.  Oregon and CA have reasonable tax rates and have caps on the yearly increase (3% in Oregon and 2% in CA).  Meanwhile, Texas has a property tax rate that is double that of CA and no cap in the yearly increase.  Wisconsin and New Jersey have high property tax rates as well.  Some states like Indiana charge more if it is not your residence.  You really need to check out each state.

Thanks for the responses, any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!

@Matt Mason  But Oregon does have a horrific personal income tax.  For high wage earners, it's a bear.....

I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in seeing if property tax rates vary in a lot of states or just mine. In SC, an owner occupied property is taxed at 4%, if it is a non owner occupied it jumps to 6%. Apparently either SC hates investors or just wants to capitalize on them.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here