Property Tax Rates...Best Cities/States??

Property Tax Rates...Best Cities/States??

Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 1 vote

Hello, I'm not sure if this question was asked before but what are the best cities and/or states that have the best property tax rates? What I mean is, I know in certain locations when you change from owner-occupied to rental your property taxes go up tremendously so what cities and/or states are the best to buy property in to offset this property tax situation? Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real estate investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2013 · 798 posts · 171 votes
    12y

    I am not familiar w/ areas where not  being owner occupied effects your taxes, but it is all public information.  A general rule of thumb has desirable area higher taxed (northeast and west coast).  I would think there are a lot of other things to consider that would create a much larger impact than taxes though.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Pete T.:

    I am not familiar w/ areas where not  being owner occupied effects your taxes, but it is all public information.  A general rule of thumb has desirable area higher taxed (northeast and west coast).  I would think there are a lot of other things to consider that would create a much larger impact than taxes though.

    That isn't really true for property taxes.  Oregon and CA have reasonable tax rates and have caps on the yearly increase (3% in Oregon and 2% in CA).  Meanwhile, Texas has a property tax rate that is double that of CA and no cap in the yearly increase.  Wisconsin and New Jersey have high property tax rates as well.  Some states like Indiana charge more if it is not your residence.  You really need to check out each state.

  • Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 1 vote
    12y

    Thanks for the responses, any more feedback would be greatly appreciated!

  • Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2013 · 210 posts · 138 votes
    12y

    @Matt Mason But Oregon does have a horrific personal income tax.  For high wage earners, it's a bear.....

  • Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 106 posts · 29 votes
    11y

    I know this is an old thread, but I am interested in seeing if property tax rates vary in a lot of states or just mine. In SC, an owner occupied property is taxed at 4%, if it is a non owner occupied it jumps to 6%. Apparently either SC hates investors or just wants to capitalize on them.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.