Wholetailing Deal - Advice?

8 Replies

I've always been a full-rehab guy, never done a wholetail deal..but this came across my desk over the past few days:

Purchase price: $98,500

Retail value (in as-is condition): $125,000

ARV with medium rehab (base finishes): $140,000

I'm thinking I'll close, do about $1k in basic make ready repairs and put back on the market targeting the $125K price point and call it a day.  

With this strategy, I see no way around paying realtor fees and potentially some closing costs (this neighborhood is heavy towards first time buyers). Is that typical for those who do a lot of wholetailing? Am I missing something?

You don't have to pay the full 6% realtor fee. You can flat-fee list the property on he MLS. I have worked with some companies/realtors who will do that for as little as $100.

But you will still typically have to pay the 3% to the buyers agent. Along with some closing costs. Although everything is negotiable.

@Thomas Fortune  how did that work out for you? I want to add wholetailing as a strategy to my business. Please provide update. 

@Dom Allen  @Brian Huber  - Hey Guys, sorry for the delayed response. Unfortunately this seller backed out at the last minute, so the deal never went through. 

For what it's worth - I put a great deal of thought into this, and here's my conclusion on wholetailing (for me and my market): If I want fast turnaround..

There's no way around paying 3% to a buyers agent. 

Yes, i could flat fee list it, but having done a separate deal recently in which things went sideways prior to closing, i'm reminded of how important it is to have a great agent on your side (and how important it is to pay your agent appropriately). I have a solid agent that I pay 2% on the sell side.

There's also no way around paying buyer closing costs - in my market, and for this particular house, paying $3k-$5k in buyer assistance is something I've got to do. 

So at the end of the day, i still need to budget for roughly 10% of the sales price in closing costs regardless of it's a retail flip or wholetail deal. These are simply the costs of doing business, and need to be budgeted in for this type of strategy. 

hope that helps!! 

@Dom Allen Curious to know if you ever implemented wholetailing into your business strategy? 

@Dom Allen what are your thoughts on the strategy as a whole? I'd love to know what you think since I'm considering if I should pursue it. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.