Real estate agent purchasing investments under own name

3 Replies

Hello BP, I am a realtor and investor. This might be a multiple part question. I want to purchase properties directly from sellers, FSBO, do I need to disclose that I'm also an agent? What's the general practice that investors do? I know that I'm obligated to disclose that I'm an agent in case they say that I'm misleading them and offering to buy their home at lower than market value. I feel that it's a catch-22 for an investor because I'm trying to buy for low yet I can't mislead them to sell for lower. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks all in advanced.

Ask them would they like to list the property with you, and if they say yes list it if they say no make them a cash offer with no weasel clause.

Joe Gore

please explain "no weasel clause". 

Why not ask your broker this question? If you concerned with keeping your license then you would want to operate out in the open. If you say (on the offer agreement) you are an agent and are purchasing the property for your own gain as an investment with the intention of making a profit then you won't have to worry.

You can also form a company but again, the company is there to profit from RE transactions, which the seller should be able to figure out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.