• Insurance Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
How to cancel a purchase contract when I am the seller in MN

Shawn Pehrson
  • Insurance Agent
  • Saint Paul, MN
Posted Aug 6 2014, 17:42

I have a home listed for sale that I completed flipping. Beautiful home, great area and went under contract fast. I accepted and signed an offer so we have a legal purchase agreement.  It has now been just over a month and we were set to close in 10 days. I was just notified that the seller can not get funding because he had a short sale in the past and the appropriate time frame has not passed. First, how did he get pre-approval, with out lying on the app. 2nd I am guessing he had to of known about this because when we were negotiating the price he wanted to close 90 days later. I said no and he agreed to close earlier. As I said we are 10 days from close and now the mortgage company tells us they can not give him a loan for about 3 months because of the prior short sale. After talking to my Realtor I said to cancel the contract and re-list the house. I was told that I can not re-list the house until the buyer agrees and signs the purchase cancellation agreement. WTF. If he does not sign or don't want to, why can't I re-list the house. He cant buy it and cant qualify for a loan, so why cant I relist. I am also asking to keep the earnest money because he had to of known about this prior to our purchase contract and lied about it on the app. He wanted an 3 months to close before so this is a further indication that he had to have known. There was no real reason given why he wanted more time just that they would like more time before they closed. What are my options so I can get my house re-listed? With asking to keep earnest money all he has to do is just not sign and I can not relist. I am guessing I am going to have to give him his money just to get my house relisted and even then why would he hurry up and sign it does not effect him in any way.  The property is in the Minneapolis, MN metro area if that matters.  

Thanks in advance

Loading replies...