Took my first real estate license classes this weekend. What took me so long???

4 Replies

I'm so excited!!!!  I was wholesaling but now I'm going to get some real credibility. The classes were outstanding. as  I left, I couldn't believe I had spent so much time chasing after the small percentage of wholesale  properties out there when I could have spent time being able to deal with any kind of property a person could possibly want to sell. I could have dealt with pretty properties. 800,000.00 properties, mansions. The marketing would take just as much work as wholesaling, but this time when I answer the phone the person on the other end will be more likely to trust me. What was I thinking taking so long to get the license? 

Has anyone else felt this way? 

Are you going to do commission based sales now as well?

Congratulations on getting started.  It can only help in your real estate endeavors :P

I got my license just thinking it would help me find buy and holds, then somehow got sucked into the sales part of it, and now I really enjoy that as well.

Originally posted by @Gregory Tran:

Are you going to do commission based sales now as well?

Congratulations on getting started.  It can only help in your real estate endeavors :P

Yes, I plan on doing commission sales as well. At first I wanted it just for access to the mls. But the class is showing me  you could make easier money than wholesaling 

Hey @Kay H.  ,

Congrats on taking the class! I also realized during the class that I was interested in the sales side and pursued that route. There are a couple of notes I would take into consideration, though;

1) Marketing may take same effort as wholesaling but the competition is waaaaaaay stiffer in retail sales. There are a handful of wholesalers in comparison to the 1.1 million Realtors in the US (and that's just the NAR members, lots more agents besides). Roughly only 20% of those folks make enough money to earn a living full time as agents. Point being, go for it with your marketing, but don't lose the phone numbers for your cash buyers. In my experience, there is a shortage of good investor friendly agents and (depending on your market and despite popular opinion) there are still good investment opportunities on the MLS.

2) Disclose, disclose, disclose. The water get pretty murky if you're involved with any transactions personally. You need to make sure all parties involved in your deals know that you're a licensed agent or Realtor. As a licensee you will be held to a much higher standard both professionally and legally, so make sure you pay attention to the ethics portion of your post-licensing education and the advice of your supervising broker.

Other than that, best of luck to you. Sounds like you have some real-world experience that could give you a head start in your career as an agent.

Congrats!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.