Like the title says, I am looking to purchase my first duplex/triplex/quadplex. My thinking is because I do not have enough funds to purchase a pure positive cash flowing investment property I will purchase a multi family property (using 5% down), live in one unit for a year or so and eventually use the unit I was living in to generate cash flow on this property. But I have a few questions first...
1) When I am evaluating how much of a multi family property I can afford, how do the rents from current tenants in the property (with leases in place) factor into the purchase price/my income from a lenders perspective?
2) Should I strictly base the purchase price on the 2% rule? I'm finding this extremely difficult even with foreclosure listings.
3) When I look at a 2/1 duplex that is listed for $225,000, has taxes of 6,660, has both units rented for 950 and 850, I calculate my payments (taxes included) to be roughly 1,500 a month. Does this seem like a bad deal? How much would you pay for this property?
Thank you in advance.
Here are some thoughts.
1) It depends on the lender. Back when I was a loan officer, we could count 70% of the rent towards qualifying income. Now-a-days it might be less and I would imagine it could vary from lender to lender. So if you bought a duplex and lived in one side and the other had an existing tenant at $1,000 a month, we would have counted $700 towards your qualifying income.
2) 2% Rule, search the forums. Some people seem to swear by it and others say it isn't possible in their market. I will let others chime in here.
3) Put the info into the BP deal analyzer and then decide if you think it is a good deal. To me at first glance I have to say there isn't enough info for me to make a solid decision but by gut says not it isn't one that I would be interested in. Gross rents show $1,800 and your PITI is $1,500 - that only leaves $300 bucks for profit, maintenance and future capx.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate
Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing