The rental property with self-directed IRA

6 Replies

The property was purchased from www.hubzu.com and closed in the end of July 2014. 

This is the first real estate purchase with my self-directed IRA account. The transaction was smoother than I thought. The custodian I am working with did a nice job so far. But I don't know yet how it goes in term of the rental management.

The purchase price is $117,000.  4 bed, 2 bath, 1300 sqf.  the lot is 0.6 acre.

The condition inside was pretty bad, nothing was working. it smelled horrible. I had to have the carpet replaced, get the trash out and much more ...

It's surprised that there were no leaks on the first day when the water was turned on.

The owner lost the house to the bank, but he still rented this house to a tenant for another one and half years. My question for him is if you received the rent, why didn't you pay back the bank, but rather choose to lose the house? where is the logic? what a crazy guy!

This has been a history. Now, I am hoping to turn the piece of crap to treasures.

The cost of repair is around $8000, maybe a little more.

it's ready. it will be listing for $1350.

I don't plan to hold this one for long term. I am not sure the time frame yet, hopefully not too long. Meanwhile I am making calls for the non-recourse loan if it is possible....

I will be updating my experience with the IRA custodian.

Finally, it's leased. The move-in date will be 11/01/14

The rent was$1200 + $40 pet fee, much lower than I expected ($1350).

The whole process to deal with IRA was easy but not convenient. The lease had to be signed by the IRA custodian. The rent is going to my IRA account indirectly. I will get the check (pay to the IRA account name) from the tenant and then send it to IRA. I feel it's the best way for me to track if the rent is paid ON time every month.

Originally posted by @Loren Whitney:

Congrats on making this happen with your IRA @Joe Zhang 

Thanks!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.