Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Deborah D'Amico
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Question for House Hunting for Disabled Veterans on pensions-House 'Flippers' Are Too Stubborn!

Deborah D'Amico
  • Reno, NV
Posted Sep 27 2014, 00:55

Question for House Hunting for Disabled Veterans on pensions: I'm trying to help a service connected Veteran figure out possible places to relocate to since he is in no condition to work and Reno along with other areas in Northern Nevada do not have the type of homes on acreage that were available a number of years ago in his VA loan qualifying range of 100% loan to value of around $150K
I've tried to find real estate sites where Veterans might post their Veteran owned homes too but no luck really, military.com has some postings but no 'best fits' I've tried finding properties that have long 6+ month histories being listed for sale, then cross referencing the tax assessor's ID number from the nnrmls.com site via public records on netronline.com to determine approximate loans against properties and/or the transfer value the current property owner paid. Often here is what is happening: we are finding a fair share of people who paid $60,000, $76,000, $86,000 to around $120,000 at auction from 2008 onward (through the mortgage meltdown) for 3-4 bedroom 1500 square foot + homes on 1 to 10 acres who are clearly stubbornly looking to 'cash in' at 2 to 3 times what they paid by keeping the homes on the market beyond 6 months! If I was in their position and knowing the market is about to take another dump by the end of October I think I would welcome a return of $80K to $120K by going over to the Veteran's Service Office (Where the VFW, DAV and other Veteran's Service Officers are) and leaving fliers showing a Veteran's only special pricing of my property but no, instead some of these people have vacant property that is just sitting there for months listed with 2 to 3 sometimes more real estate offices and beginning to show it because weeds are growing, dirt is collecting and some have been broken into.
If anyone has any better ideas on helping him find the property he wants here or elsewhere it would sure be appreciated.

Loading replies...