Look for buyer before or after contract is in place ?

7 Replies

Is it okay to advertise/market a wholesale deal to buyers before you actually get it under contract ? I see a lot of posts where people get it under contract and then look for buyers is there anything wrong with doing it the other way around ?

Cierra, I have wondered the same thing.  Is Reverse Wholesaling better or worse than Wholesaling?  Or is there a difference in which direction you go? 

@Cierra Seay   @Samantha Lotti  

Questions

1. how do you sell something you dont own?

2. If you find a buyer for a property you dont own, how are you going to show it to "your buyer"

3. If you figure out a way to show your buyer, if you dont have a contract, how would you keep our buyer from buying direct from the seller?

If you dont have a controlling interest, you are playing realtor which doesnt sit well with realtors and governing entities, may find yourself in trouble with the authorities.

I wholesale quite a few, many times I have a buyer in mind when making offers. I  may have a contract to sell the house to another rehabber within days of me locking up the property, but I have never tried to sell something I didnt own or have a contract on. 

Hi Dell. Thanks for your input.  Once I have an offer accepted, I will then put it under contract to purchase (with a clause stating that I have the right to assign/sell the contract). Signing a contract with a seller would give me "Equitable Interest" in the property, which will allow me to find a buyer to assign/sell the contract too.  

@Samantha Lotti  that will work, now that you got the hard part figured out ;-)  all you need is to find a seller, willing to sell to you for less than a buyer is willing to pay you.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy ... 

Wish you the best in your real estate endeavor.

Dell... Thank you so much.  Easy Peasy... lol  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here