Look for buyer before or after contract is in place ?

7 Replies

Is it okay to advertise/market a wholesale deal to buyers before you actually get it under contract ? I see a lot of posts where people get it under contract and then look for buyers is there anything wrong with doing it the other way around ?

Cierra, I have wondered the same thing.  Is Reverse Wholesaling better or worse than Wholesaling?  Or is there a difference in which direction you go? 

@Cierra Seay   @Samantha Lotti  

Questions

1. how do you sell something you dont own?

2. If you find a buyer for a property you dont own, how are you going to show it to "your buyer"

3. If you figure out a way to show your buyer, if you dont have a contract, how would you keep our buyer from buying direct from the seller?

If you dont have a controlling interest, you are playing realtor which doesnt sit well with realtors and governing entities, may find yourself in trouble with the authorities.

I wholesale quite a few, many times I have a buyer in mind when making offers. I  may have a contract to sell the house to another rehabber within days of me locking up the property, but I have never tried to sell something I didnt own or have a contract on. 

(330) 432-6927

Hi Dell. Thanks for your input.  Once I have an offer accepted, I will then put it under contract to purchase (with a clause stating that I have the right to assign/sell the contract). Signing a contract with a seller would give me "Equitable Interest" in the property, which will allow me to find a buyer to assign/sell the contract too.  

@Samantha Lotti  that will work, now that you got the hard part figured out ;-)  all you need is to find a seller, willing to sell to you for less than a buyer is willing to pay you.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy ... 

Wish you the best in your real estate endeavor.

(330) 432-6927

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.