buying in Lima peru

11 Replies

Hello,

Im new to this community and i need to know where i can get financing in order to buy an apartment in lima, peru. Im canadian citizien.

Thanks for help

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :

What made you choose Lima, Peru?

my wife is from lima, peru.

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Hi, welcome to BP! Might try a bank in Lima, the lenders will be local :)

The problem is that local lenders will ask at least for 50% of cashdown in my opinion. I was looking for 20-30%. Also i lived few years ago there and everything was slow... If i go there is to sign for apartment only. Finding financing can be a headache. Im trying to find the best solution.

Originally posted by @Dawn Anastasi :

Do you feel that your wife being there is the best reason to invest there?  Will you be getting back there often?

Sure i love this country and i already lived here for 1 year. We plan to go each year.

Kevin, I'm not an international financier, I have no idea what the security aspects are in Peru, not sure of title rights or lender's rights either, and unless someone pops up as a new member, I doubt anyone here has a clue on Peru.

Lenders like to have collateral close to them, banks have lending areas, Peru is a tad outside the customary 30 mile limit for residential properties.

Might borrow against something local, cash out and go buy what you want. That's about all I got for you, sorry. :) 

Medium logoscopiccroppedblue2Bill Gulley, General Real Estate Academy | https://generalrealestateacademy.com

Originally posted by @Kevin Whalen :

Hello,

Im new to this community and i need to know where i can get financing in order to buy an apartment in lima, peru. Im canadian citizien.

Thanks for help

There is no financing in Peru for foreigners unless you put down 80%

Currently there is a financial crisis in Peru, GDP WAS AT 7% in 2010, now coming in at 1.2 monthly average. Housing went up 220% between 2008 and 2013, there is a threat of a bubble. Going in to real estate in Peru is risky currently. You may do better to wait for a correction. do the research. A 1000sq ft apartment in Lima could cost you $200,000.00

Lima is expensive. If you want to do research got to expatperu.com. 

This post has been removed.

i purchased a beach front rehab in 2007 for

$12,500 . On the northern beaches of Peru. Have not done any work yet. It is worth $175,000 now . If you plan to buy in Peru you are buying at the top of the market. The other thing is interest 10%+.

Scotiabank-Peru warns, “there is another issue to consider: the increase in mortgage banking delinquency; which between late 2013 and August 2014 ... increased 55 percent.”

Peru faces threat of housing bubble
By Cesar Uco
13 October 2014
Peru’s National Institute of Statistics and Information (INEI in Spanish) released statistics last month establishing that property prices in the country have risen faster than anywhere else in the world, ballooning by 121 percent between 2008 and 2012. This outstrips London (35 percent), Hong Kong (61 percent), China (64 percent) and Brazil (90 percent).

HI Kevin, 

I know this is a old post, are you still looking for funding in Lima.I do a lot of business in Peru. 

Thanks Chris 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you