Investing in a foreign country, do any of you guys do this?

3 Replies

Hello I have a goal of becoming financially free with real estate as the first stepping stone, but I also have non financial goals as well the biggest being my want to live in japan and gain permanent residency. 

My question is do any of you guys invest in countries that you don't live in, and would you be able to share some of the pros cons and difficulties that could come with investing out of country. 

Thanks 

Hello Adrian,

I'm currently on the exact same track as you are: looking for my first deal in Japan while trying to get permanent residency in Japan. My flight is planned for januari. I can PM/mail you educational links to what I've been listening  and reading about it if you're interested.

Good luck,

Frederic

@Adrian Valdez @Frederic Vervaecke

Nice to meet you on Bigger Pockets.

Good question regarding investing out of the country. Regardless of residency, unless a person is fluent in the market such as the language, the culture and its ins and outs, it’s always a good idea to have local representation and advice – particularly in Japan, which is extremely foreigner shy and culturally isolated. In fact, when investing anywhere other than one’s immediate backyard, the most important skill becomes people management. The due diligence process should primarily focus on researching companies and operators, as opposed to properties and areas, since the latter requires local expertise. Other issues to keep in mind are remote, bilingual, legal and financial representation, currency exchange rates, etc. So, as you can see, it is quite different from local investing.

Our APAC manager, Ziv Nakajima-Magen, wrote a series of guides for international property investors which you might find helpful. http://nippontradings.com/global-real-estate/. Good luck with your residency and your goals!

i live here in japan.  if anyone wants to talk please feel free to shoot me a message.  im still in the learning process and always looking to find out more about this interesting and hugely rewarding market. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you