Plumbing Scope or Nope?

2 Replies

Here's the scenario: 

Relatively new construction (less than 7 years) and the property has several mature trees close to the home. The trees have recently been pruned (this year) but I know that they had been unmanaged for the last 15-20 years as the previous property owner was an out of state company. As I don't know enough about plumbing and new construction, I am unclear as to whether those issues would have been fully dealt with when they rebuilt or is there likely to be some old lines still in use. The previous home on the site had been completely leveled to build a larger one. If you were looking to buy such a property, would you have a plumbing scope done?

It wouldn't make sense to rebuild & re-use the old outdated sewer hookups, in fact up here 'code' would not allow it on a complete new build.

BUT if it is in fact hooked into the old system (& speaking from experience),

I would definitely scope the sewer for breaks & tree roots.

Yep, that was the kind of "swamp thing" mess my ex and I found on an older house we had purchased when we had a scope done so I wasn't sure how much of that is eliminated with newer work. Thanks Pat!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.