First post to BP and looking at an investment

9 Replies

Hi Everyone,

I have been a lurker at BP for years reading as much info as I can about REI. I have just started looking into getting a rental here in NorCal. My plan is to buy and hold. With the cash I have my search has landed me in Antioch, CA and Pittsburg, CA areas. What do you guys think of Antioch in general? I know crime rate is high but I am looking more around the Kaiser Medical Center area which has lots of new developments. I drove by the neighborhood last weekend and thought it wasn't scary enough to drive out an investor but then again I don't live there. Would appreciate your feedback.

@Khaled Ejaz   welcome to the site!  CA can be a great place to invest if you're looking for appreciation.

Hey there! I live in a bordering city of Oakley. I would research the schools in that area. I believe it will be Deer Valley High which has it's own issues. Also, there is a lot of loitering in the plaza on Lone Tree in which businesses close down after school due to this. I would subscribe to eastcountytoday.net on Facebook to get an idea of what's going on in Antioch. I have to say many good people in Antioch but a lot of issues. There is actually a recall of the Mayor starting due to unresolved violence frustration. Considered one of the top violent cities in CA. Hope this helps!
Tammy

I have some investments in Pittsburg, CA for the past few years.  I've heard the areas are tough and i go there any time without to much worry.  I also manage the properties myself.  The appreciation value is definitely there if that's what your looking for, plus they are building an eBart station.  I surmise the values will continue to rise in the area.

I have also looked at Antioch, CA but many of those areas seemed rougher. But then i invest in MFH. You may have better luck with newer SFH's in the area.

Thank you for the tips. I will def. look in surrounding areas. 

@Khaled Ejaz  ,

I'm with @Sorab G.  on the long-term appreciation potential for both Pittsburg and Antioch due to proximity to various employment centers, BART/freeways (& extension eventually out to Brentwood I believe..), on top of being one of the most affordable places in the Bay Area. The spillover from the core part of the Bay will continue over the long term, I believe. And they ain't building any more land!

I have SFHs, duplex, and 4plexes in Oakland and Richmond for this exact "spillover/employment/commute/affordable" play. And I've hit close to 1% or higher on all my deals, including 2 this year, most recently in July/August. I've been considering going out to Pittsburg & Antioch, but haven't quite made the leap yet. Mostly because I think there's still better deals in Richmond and Oakland (for what I know) - and because I know those areas much better.

I think they're comparable though. You might have some management headaches in between.. But part of the life in lower-end areas. I have 12 units under management myself right now in Richmond (near BART), East Oakland, and West Oakland, and not too bad..

Good luck! And come out and say hi sometime at a meetup!

@J Martin, not to go off topic, but do you or anyone know what they are working on between Novato and Petaluma along freeway? 

Hi Khaled,

I live in Brentwood and somewhat familiar with the area. There are some decent areas in both Antioch and Pittsburg area. Another area to consider is Bay point. 

Good Luck!

Hey @Khaled Ejaz  

I'm wrapping up the sale of a listing I have in Antioch and the neighborhood that it's in (Renaissance at Blue Rock) is quite nice. As with most cities, there are good parts and bad parts. Just be sure that you're getting into an area that meets your investment goals. I agree with J. M. that it's only a matter of time before growth in the bay spills out to these areas, especially since it's Bart accessible.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here