Should I buy multi home that already has tenants?

3 Replies

Hi All,

I am looking into investing  in triplex that is fully rented out. The listing agent states that the 2 units have been occupied for 3 years and are on month to month lease and one was recently leased for a year. The agent states that the tenants are great and have been paying on time.

How do I verify if the information provided by the agent is accurate? I'd like to do my due diligence on the tenants to make I am comfortable and know all the facts and not depend on the listing agents information.  I haven't made an offer on the house and would hesitate to put in one until I have reliable information on the tenants

Any advise is appreciated

@Aniket Thakur   Make a rent roll from the last 6 months a condition of contract which will show you whether rents are coming in or not.   

Beyond that, there is little you can do, but if the rents are falsified on the rent rolls and you have an issue you could have cause for remediation from the seller.  

Also make sure the rents that are being stated are in line with rents in that area - check rentometer, craigslist, or call possible PM companies.

Pretty much exactly what Dave said. I recently purchased a fully occupied duplex, but I put a contingency on the contract that said the seller had to provide rent reports and expenses for the past two years.

-Carlos

thanks Carlos and Dave. I have requested the listing agent for rent roll and maintenance records 

I am hoping to have these before signing the contract

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you