Is 1 million the max tax deductible loan?

3 Replies

HI All,

I'm confused about something that I'm hoping you guys can help explain.

I've heard that generally when you are buying a primary residence that the interest one only 1million dollars of your loan would be tax deductible.  But I also hear that you can deduct an extra 100,000 some how.  I guess I'm confused about that extra 100,000.  Lets say I get a loan for 1.1million now.  Is there anything that I have to do special to be able to deduct that extra 100k?  Or do I do nothing and then come tax time just enter all the interest into the right box in turbotax?  In other words do I have to call out somewhere or split out somewhere the extra 100k.  Let me know if my question makes any sense. 

Thanks

Here is the tax code:

" Only for qualified residence interest that the property security the debt important in determining the tax treatment of the related interest expense. Qualified residence interest expense on up to $1 million ($500,000 for married filing separately) of home acquisition indebtedness plus up to $100,00 ($50,000 MFS) of home equity indebtedness is fully deductible for regular tax "

Basically you can take the interest that you are paying on the actual mortgage of your house up the $1million limitation of principle. 

The additional has to do with home equity loans. 

If you have a 1 million dollar mortgage- and a Home equity LOC for $100,000 mortgage interest on both is deductible as long as its your primary residence.

Hope this helps!

Medium 07a777d9 0ba9 4025 8770 af3e7a1d7804Natalie Kolodij, Kolodij Tax & Consulting | [email protected] | 206‑456‑6962 | http://www.ReTaxStrategist.com

Thanks Natalie!  I think I understand it now.  That was very helpful.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you