Is 1 million the max tax deductible loan?

3 Replies

HI All,

I'm confused about something that I'm hoping you guys can help explain.

I've heard that generally when you are buying a primary residence that the interest one only 1million dollars of your loan would be tax deductible.  But I also hear that you can deduct an extra 100,000 some how.  I guess I'm confused about that extra 100,000.  Lets say I get a loan for 1.1million now.  Is there anything that I have to do special to be able to deduct that extra 100k?  Or do I do nothing and then come tax time just enter all the interest into the right box in turbotax?  In other words do I have to call out somewhere or split out somewhere the extra 100k.  Let me know if my question makes any sense. 

Thanks

Here is the tax code:

" Only for qualified residence interest that the property security the debt important in determining the tax treatment of the related interest expense. Qualified residence interest expense on up to $1 million ($500,000 for married filing separately) of home acquisition indebtedness plus up to $100,00 ($50,000 MFS) of home equity indebtedness is fully deductible for regular tax "

Basically you can take the interest that you are paying on the actual mortgage of your house up the $1million limitation of principle. 

The additional has to do with home equity loans. 

If you have a 1 million dollar mortgage- and a Home equity LOC for $100,000 mortgage interest on both is deductible as long as its your primary residence.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Natalie!  I think I understand it now.  That was very helpful.

Yes finally! Using my tax powers to help someone! :) 

Cheers

Natalie 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here