Crying for help -- size of the lot bought isn't right!!

Crying for help -- size of the lot bought isn't right!!

Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes

This is my first post. I am a completely newbie here. The reason for my first post here is that I have a big problem. I bought a piece of residential lot in harris county auction. The land area listed in appraisal district (HCAD) is 3000 sqft. 

When I go into the online county map (Key Map) to look for this lot based the legal description, I did the calculation by myself based on the dimensions shows around the lot. I came out with the lot area of 2000 SQFT. The reason in this giant difference is because this lot has one end as a "triangle", it seems that the 3000 SQFT is calculated base on the triangle is a full rectangle. 

Am I in big trouble? This is a 1/3 reduction in lot size!! How can I verify which information is correct? To whom should I seek for help to to get more information around this lot? 

Any help is appreciated!

0Reply
14 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    11y

    Call a surveying company and get a survey.

    Welcome to harris county auction!  This is the kind of thing you have to look out for when buying at auction.

    Where is this lot?  Just curious.

  • Investor · Portland, ME · Member since 2011 · 81 posts · 27 votes
    11y

    The online county assessor's maps are never very accurate.  They are essentially tax map lines which are rounded based on the assessor's findings (Source: I work with Surveyors all day long).  You will most likely have to hire a surveyor to survey the property if you want a stone cold Square Footage.  During their research he/she should be reading the deed and other boundary information in order to compile a boundary survey for you.  If the surveyor confirms your number, you then have a case with the assessor to lower your taxes or to go back to the Auctioneer to dispute.  Speaking of the Auctioneer, what was the square footage provided by them before you bought the property?

    I have never been in this situation, so perhaps other BP members can weigh in as well.

  • Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Sam, 

    It is in Precint 1. 

    Drew,

    It was a county tax sale, they referred to a tax suit. In the judgement, it makes reference to the legal description and the appraisal district account number, it didn't specify the footage in the judgement. 

    So, both of the information are on the HCAD ( harris county appraisal district) web side. The appraised area of 3000 sqft, and the key map, where result in 2000 sqft area based on simple math. If the difference is so big, you didn't even need a surveyor to recognize a problem.

  • Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    I checked the deed, it only has legal description. Will anybody get a good survey company to recommend? How did the county come up with the appraisal area footage? Did they survey it? 

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    11y

    Is it a subdivision, lot and lock?  If so, somewhere there is a plat recorded, with actual dimensions.

  • Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2014 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    yes. It has lot and block information. Will check county clerk on the real drawing 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.