Buying property from an estate

5 Replies

Long story, but I bought a house and a portion of the original lot is still with ownership of the person who is deceased.  The house itself went through foreclosure, a slice of the acreage did not.

The remaining piece is still in ownership of the deceased person.

What are my options?

Find each of her children to agree to sell the remaining portion?

Wait for it to go through to be tax forfeited?  What's the timeline for that?

I'm assuming I need all remaining next-generation descendants to sign off on it, correct?

Those are options that are available.

What is your position now? Current owner of the foreclosed property?

If you are only a prospective buyer of this problem, you'd better plan on another $5K+ just to clear it up plus an extended period of time.

If I was the owner of the parcel with the house, I'd sue the decedent's heirs and devisees for wuiet title and partition unless you can identify them and gain cooperation. 

Whoever owns the house has a legal mess to clear up prior to being able to fully realize all benefits of the two combined.

I am owner of the house.

What is wuiet title (I assume quiet title).

I don't need the property, but I thought it'd be better if I can mow the whole lawn, vs leaving grass grow tall and unkept on the remainder.

I don't think the current owners even know they'd own it anymore. (until the tax bill will come).

Originally posted by @Dan D. :

I am owner of the house.

What is wuiet title (I assume quiet title).

I don't need the property, but I thought it'd be better if I can mow the whole lawn, vs leaving grass grow tall and unkept on the remainder.

I don't think the current owners even know they'd own it anymore. (until the tax bill will come).

If the property is owned by a deceased person, the heirs are not the owners.  The estate of the deceased person is the owner.  The heirs can not sell you what the don't own (the property).  They can sell you what they do own (interest in the estate).    How much value are you talking about?  Probating an estate can be a deal breaker for small values.  Does the current title show that it's held in a trust?  Sometimes you can luck out with that.

It doesn't show a trust.  Just shows the deceased person's name as the owner.

The value is negligible.  The only person really interested in buying it would be myself.  I thought it might be offering a small amount to bring it back together, but my better option might be leaving it go until it eventually becomes a tax forfeited property down the road.

So I started trying to track down the family members and I found a grand daughter via Facebook who gave me her dads name who is also on Facebook. Going to see if I can work out some sort of agreement to purchase prior to it becoming a tax forfeit.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you