Would it be smart to become a RE agent first?

7 Replies

Would it be smart to become a real estate agent first to learn the ropes and basics of real estate? Or would it be okay to read books and research real estate instead of becoming an agent? I know people say being a real estate agent is hard, but I'm just wanting to learn. Any related response would be helpful.

what is it exactly that you are trying to learn? 

I found that due to my educational experience as a youth, being in a classroom setting taught me a lot more about real estate than relying on myself to read books and learn. No you don't have to become an RE agent to learn about real estate but at least taking the classes will help you get familiar about the laws and basics. 

Also, look into finding a mentor that is currently involved in the type of RE transactions you want to do. 

And of course check out BiggerPockets as often as possible!

Originally posted by @Mike Parks :

what is it exactly that you are trying to learn? 

Thanks for the response! I just want to learn the basics, like how mortgages work, the buying process, how to find a a great property to invest in, etc. then flipping.

Originally posted by @Myeisha Greene :

I found that due to my educational experience as a youth, being in a classroom setting taught me a lot more about real estate than relying on myself to read books and learn. No you don't have to become an RE agent to learn about real estate but at least taking the classes will help you get familiar about the laws and basics. 

Also, look into finding a mentor that is currently involved in the type of RE transactions you want to do. 

And of course check out BiggerPockets as often as possible!

Where are RE classes usually taught? Online? Community colleges?

You can find them in all the above. And depending on how to acquire a license in your area there should be schools just for Real Estate Licensing and Continuing Education. 

its a lot to go through just to obtain knowledge, but thats entirely up to you. I would think that there are more successful non REA's than are REA's. Not to say that REA's cant be successful, but if you are only looking to get your RE license for knowledge, there are plenty of other ways to do so. Good luck!!

Thanks guys for the responses! I will be looking for a local school for RE and I will be on this forum a lot more often.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here