New Fannie Mae appraisal system for 2015! How will it impact your business this year?

2 Replies

I just read this article

http://turnersappraisals.com/fannie-mae-to-pick-lowest-risk-comparables-for-appraisers/

Seems like at the end of January appraisers will have to jump through some extra hoops to deal with this new software that Fannie Mae has created. It gives its own suggestions on what properties should be used as comps.

Thoughts on how this will impact investors?

Shoot, I was gearing to buy my first property late Jan. Well, it seems like the 'recommendations' aren't mandatory, and it is addressing a valid problem (from the article):

"Most lenders and their AMC partners currently do not have ready access to local data." 

So I'd think large underwriters will still use appraiser recommendations as their systems may be more robust. I think the 'increased workload' people are going on about seems to be negligible, but I am not an appraiser, so would be interested to hear from that point of view.

Overall, no, don't really think it'll be an issue.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you