Votes
Nancy L.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Neighborhood revitalization and promotion ideas

Nancy L.
  • Philadelphia, PA
Posted Jan 3 2015, 09:21

I had an idea on neighborhood improvement that might be kinda left field, and am wondering if people could weigh in on this and on different strategies/experiences in general...

Especially for those holding rentals in up and coming areas, I've heard of strategies ranging from joining local community groups, organizing neighborhood cleanups, and calling the city about graffiti/nuisances, to buying up whole blocks, paying people to sweep the streets, and opening local cafes or bars. 

My thought is that if a neighborhood were treated like any other product to be sold, it could be actively marketed to create buzz and entice more people to visit, move into, and invest. A website could announce local events (bar quizzo nights, music, museums, etc), feature real estate for sale and rent, and highlight interesting features or facts (eg. a prestigious school or a historical park). This would also give plenty of opportunity for sponsorship from local advertisers if successful. Ideally, others could contribute to pages for their neighborhoods, and a homepage would showcase a sampling of what's on the neighborhood pages.

I live and some own rentals in the NW area of Philadelphia (in W. Germantown and E. Mt Airy), which flies somewhat under the radar, but has some great things to offer and is improving gradually. The fact that the area doesn't get a lot of attention actually has been great for me because I've gotten good purchase prices relative to the rent returns. But, now that I have the properties, I would love to see the area continue to improve!

I do understand that my idea would be a huge undertaking and I'd have to recruit a lot of help, it's just something I'm thinking about and curious if there's precedent... Wondering people's thoughts on this, if this has been tried before, and if anyone has experience with running a local forum? And people's thoughts/experiences on neighborhood improvement strategies in general?

Loading replies...